Servay First Aid

Topics: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, First aid, Cardiac arrest Pages: 15 (4745 words) Published: June 22, 2013
Survey on First Aid and CPR Among Health Personnel in Malaysia

SURVEY ON FIRST AID AND CPR AMONG HEALTH PERSONNEL IN MALAYSIA ROSNAH RAMLY1, FADHLI YUSOFF1, ZAINAL A OMAR1 Abstract Introduction: Death due to cases like acute myocardial infarction, drowning, suffocation, electrocution and trauma could occur within the first hour of the onset or the event before the victim reaches the hospital. Many of these deaths can actually be prevented if the victims get prompt and proper help, and in a case of emergency, anybody including health personnel could be the bystander and first person to response to it. In determining the higher chance of survival of the victims, everybody including bystanders, first responders and emergency services personnel must be able to play their roles effectively. It is therefore essential for the health staffs especially those with clinical background to have a good knowledge on first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and confident in performing it. Objectives: The purpose of this study is to know the ability of health staffs with clinical background to give first aid and CPR, to assess the coverage of first aid and CPR training among health staffs in all occupational categories and to identify factors related to the ability to give first aid and CPR Methodology: A self completion questionnaire survey was done to health staffs with clinical background in all levels of occupational categories in September and October 2005. All staffs with clinical background from the state health offices and randomly selected districts and clinics from all states in Malaysia except Pahang, Wilayah Persekutuan and Sabah were included in the survey. Respondents were asked on their perceived ability and confidence in giving first aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as well as training and experience on first aid and CPR. Results: There were 4989 health staffs ranging from the state health directors to the midwives participated in the study and majority of them were females (80 %). About 74 % of them had attended first aid and CPR training for at least once during their service period whereas the other 26% had never attended such training. Only 52.7 % of the subjects perceived that they were able and confident in giving first aid and CPR. Factors significantly determined the perceived ability and confidence in giving first aid and CPR were gender, occupation, ever had first aid and CPR training during their service, year of the latest training attended and ever experienced in giving first aid and CPR. Conclusions: Management in the states and districts should provide more opportunity for health staff to learn first aid and CPR by conducting more training and must ensure all health staffs especially those with clinical background to attend the training regularly to sustain their competency.

Keywords: First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Basic Life Support

INTRODUCTION

A

bout 30 % of deaths due to acute myocardial infarction occur within the first hour of the onset and about two-thirds of deaths occur before the victim reaches the hospital (American Heart Association). It was also stated that most of early deaths are due to ventricular fibrillation which is treatable. Other causes of sudden death include drowning, suffocation, electrocution, drug overdose and accidental injuries. Many of these deaths can be prevented if the victims get prompt and proper help. Survival of cardiac arrest depends on a series of critical interventions and this sequence is sometimes described as chain of survival. If one of these critical interventions is delayed, the chance of survival would be reduced. In determining the higher chance of

survival of the victims, everybody including bystanders, first responders, emergency service personnel, paramedics and doctors must be able to play their roles effective when dealing with emergency situations. The initial goals in emergency first aid are to ensure safety...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • First Aid Essay
  • First Aid in the Workplace Essay
  • First Aid Compilation Essay
  • emergency first aid in the care home Essay
  • First Aid Essay
  • first aid Essay
  • first aid Essay
  • First Aid Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free