A. An interesting novel provides good entertainment.
B. The laughing boy sat down.
C. Winning the race demanded speed and endurance.
D. I am going home.
2. The italicized words make up which type of verbal phrase?
Turning the corner, Kate bumped into David.
B. Split infinitive
3. In the sentence "I want to sleep when I'm tired," the words "to sleep" are a/an
A. predicate adjective.
B. indirect object.
C. prepositional phrase.
D. infinitive phrase.
4. How could you combine the following two sentences into a complex sentence with a dependent adjectival clause?
The boy wore a green coat. He carried his sister home.
A. The boy carried home his sister's green coat.
B. The boy who wore a green coat carried his sister home.
C. The boy wore a green coat; he carried his sister home.
D. The boy wore a green coat, and he carried his sister home.
5. Which sentence uses correct parallel construction?
A. You can either talk to the manager about your problem or writing a letter to the president of the company.
B. Most people enjoy ice cream and the plant grows.
C. Anyone who is going to work here will have to be athletic, an intelligent person, and have a good sense of humor.
D. The painter wore glasses, gloves, and boots.
6. Which of the following is a complex sentence that contains a dependent adverbial clause?
A. Mark expects the photo to arrive on Tuesday.
B. Mark expects the photo to arrive late.
C. Mark expects the photo to arrive when the letter arrives.
D. Mark expects the photo to arrive in damaged condition.