1. Which sentence contains words in italics that form a gerund phrase? (A gerund is a verb form used the same way as a noun.)
A. An interesting novel provides good entertainment.
B. The laughing boy sat down.
C. Winning the race demanded speed and endurance.
D. I am going home.
2. The italicized words make up which type of verbal phrase? Turning the corner, Kate bumped into David.
B. Split infinitive
3. In the sentence "I want to sleep when I'm tired," the words "to sleep" are a/an
A. predicate adjective.
B. indirect object.
C. prepositional phrase.
D. infinitive phrase.
4. How could you combine the following two sentences into a complex sentence with a dependent adjectival clause? The boy wore a green coat. He carried his sister home.
A. The boy carried home his sister's green coat.
B. The boy who wore a green coat carried his sister home.
C. The boy wore a green coat; he carried his sister home.
D. The boy wore a green coat, and he carried his sister home.
5. Which sentence uses correct parallel construction?
A. You can either talk to the manager about your problem or writing a letter to the president of the company.
B. Most people enjoy ice cream and the plant grows.
C. Anyone who is going to work here will have to be athletic, an intelligent person, and have a good sense of humor.
D. The painter wore glasses, gloves, and boots.
6. Which of the following is a complex sentence that contains a dependent adverbial clause?
A. Mark expects the photo to arrive on Tuesday.
B. Mark expects the photo to arrive late.
C. Mark expects the photo to arrive when the letter arrives.
D. Mark expects the photo to arrive in damaged condition.
7. Which of the following is a run-on sentence?
A. Karen's uncle arrives tomorrow she wants to see him.
B. Mike joined the army, and he became more disciplined during the training.
C. The house was owned by the mayor.
D. We like to take a walk after dinner.
Which one of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
A. Darleen chose Tara, Holly, and, Marlene as her lab partners.
B. She kept my surprise a secret, but she had a hard time doing it.
C. Della arrived on time, it was just two o'clock.
D. I found a large, smooth, rock on the beach yesterday.
9. Which sentence contains repetitious words that should be left out?
A. The star was visible centuries ago.
B. The bright star is visible to the eye.
C. The star will soon disappear.
D. The bright star is visible.
10. One of the following sentences contains an independent clause and a dependent clause, which makes it a complex sentence. Which is the complex sentence?
A. Jenny was the largest elephant in the circus.
B. I came home; I saw an envelope in the mailbox.
C. After the rain ended, the sky became blue.
D. I hesitated a moment, but her smile gave me courage.
11. Which of the following pairs of ideas could be combined into a compound sentence? (Remember that only related ideas should be joined into a compound sentence.)
A. The weather had changed. The house seemed deserted.
B. The days became longer. The children could play outside later.
C. We watched the news on television. The girls walked quickly to school.
D. The street lights were dim. The play was a success.
12. In which of these sentences are quotation marks used incorrectly?
A. "I could not believe she said, 'I never worry,'" Kate muttered.
B. "Neither a lender nor a...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document