Tuesday, October 15
October 29 2 draft due
1. Choose a short video text to analyze.
a. Music video
b. T.V commercial
c. Clip from a movie(5min)
d. T.V show (30min)(choose one episode in a series)
Write an analysis of the video from the perspective of gender or race.
The paper needs to have a semiotic component.
You will write a semiotic of gender or race in a video.
Frame Point of view Case(Example)
Gerder or Race Video you choose
1. Intro/ Thesis
-Thesis How does gender or race work in your selected video?
-How does the video help us understand the way society “constructs” gender or race?
* (sub title transition) ex: Signs of the times, Going to school to learn your gender
2. Define semiotics. You can use information and ideas essai 1 but you need to modify them to fit in the project.
3. Define gender or race (use both) use the class handouts to help with this.
4. Set up your fame by defining how a semiotics of gender or semiotic of race works.
5. Describe your video.
6. Analyze you vide. Use your frame (part2) to show how race or gender works in a video.
7. Conclude. How has this project changed the way you see the world.
8. Works cited
Homework Thursday, October 17:
Please select your video
Read the “construction of gender” for next Thursday.
Write one or two paragraphs in which you share a personal example of doing gender. (anecdote/memory )
The social construction of gender
Sex vs gender.
Gender is so close to us all the time and its everywhere that we take it for granted. It’s seems natural. Gender is not natural. It’s a human invention, just like other inventions.
Gender is “a human production” (Lorber p1)
Gender is made by people
You are not born gender
We use signs to help us create a gender
We use signs- like clothes- to signify our gender
-Gender is semiotic because we identify ourselves as masculine and feminine