By: Shania Tungate
What is Shinto?
• Ritual and religious matters of the
• Focus on the human life cycle and
• Shinto means The way of the Gods
• Shinto was divided into two classes
• Sectarian Shinto
• Shinto of the national faith of the
Japanese or the State Shinto Religion
The Kojiki and
Who found Shinto?
• Has no founders
• Was created by the Yamato Clan, for their bid to assume ruler ship of
• Is little of Buddhism and Chinese culture
• Japan had other ideas than the Buddhism
• Japan separated the religion and politics after WWII and was separated
• Nihonshoki (Chronicle of Japan)
• Kojiki (Record of Ancient
• Were written to legitimate the
rule of the Yamato clan as
descendants of the gods
Where it originated?
• It origin is in Japan
How many are still practicing?
• Has 33 Gods
• Most important Goddess is Amaterasu
• Goddess of sun
3. Purification Trough
4. Main and Offering hall
Stages of Worship
2. Stone stairs
4. Chōzuya or temizuya
One of the prayers
• http://www.patheos.com/Library/Shinto/Beliefs/Suffering-and-the-Problem-of-Evil.html • http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/shinto/
• http://cla.calpoly.edu/~bmori/syll/Hum310japan/Shinto.html •...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document