Brandy Nicole Stewart
Ms. Yolanda Rodgers
English IV AP
30 March 2015
The History of Scotlandville
Scotlandville Magnet High School and it’s surrounding community has evolved through many changes over the years. The school has gone through changes such as being a community school, an academic magnet school, and a combination of both. The community was once a prosperous and thriving, but now a community that is overlooked by many. There is still much more changes that is needed to return the school and community to the prosperous and family oriented place it once was.
The area known as Scotlandville today was once just an isolated rural village near Scott’s Bluff. It was named for a cotton planter whose plantation was located near the Mississippi River. The name Scott’s Bluff was given because most traveling was done by people and freight was exchanged by boat. Sometime soon after the Reconstruction Period the area was given its official name. It was then named Scotlandville, Louisiana. The decision for this was because the railroad station to Yazoo and Mississippi Valley was named Scotland. There was a small depot located near Scotland Ave. and Scenic Hwy which was the Scotlandville Branch Post Office. The U. S. Post Office Contract Station was awarded to the Simms’ Discount Pharmacy in 1986. The pharmacy was the first to be owned by females, Geraldine A. Simms and Ruby Jean Simms. This was significant because it provided mailing for citizens who didn’t have transportation. Amanda Kelly Mackie lived in Scotlandville and married Arteal Kelly and
together they opened many businesses such as the Kelly Bus Line. Amanda was a member of the earliest black families that became a business owner. During the time the Scotlandville Area had many goals. Their goals were to construct churches, schools and businesses. The oldest church in Scotlandville is Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church which was built in 1893. Other churches consist of Camphor Memorial United Methodist Church, Allen Chapel Church, Greater Mount Camel Baptist Church, New Light Baptist Church, King David Baptist Church and First Presbyterian Church of Scotlandville. The first school built in Scotlandville was Rosenwald School. It was named Rosenwald School because the money used for the school came from the Rosenwald Fund. The other schools were North and South Scotlandville, Scotlandville Junior Senior High School, and Scotlandville Senior High School in 1960.
There were three major factors that contributed to the population growth. The first factor was opening of the Standard Oil Company in 1909 that was near Southern University on land that is now known as Chippewa Street. The second factor was the recruitment efforts of Dr. Joseph Samuel Clark who was the founder and first president of Southern University. The third factor was the opening of the University on March 9, 1914. There weren’t a large number of citizens in the area before the opening of Southern University. Mainly the people traveled to Scotlandville on Saturday afternoons to trade, have a good time, a drink or just to mix and mingle with others. On the left of the Y and V Railroad and between the LR and N Railroads, there was no one occupying the space. The streets that are in those spaces are Stilt, Oriole, Snipe, Teal, Simms, Osprey, Kitty, Grebe, part of Swan and Southern Ave.
According to Felton G. Clark who the son of Dr. Joseph Clark and also president of Southern University, there was a man by the name of Bacon who was a real estate agent, and was responsible for development of Scotlandville. He would give anyone that boarded the trains from New Orleans to Scotlandville a ticket for a free ride. He would then draw these tickets and give land away to the winners for free. During the beginning of the 1940’s there was birth and growth ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document