BIOLOGY: Cells, Tissues, Organs and Organ Systems
1. Compare and contrast the following terms:
a) Endoplasmic reticulum and golgi apparatus
b) Mitochondria and nucleus
c) Cell wall and cell membrane
d) Cell cycle and mitosis
e) Cell cycle and cancer
f) Tissue and organ system
g) Digestive system, circulatory system, and respiratory system
h) Root system and shoot system
i) Phloem and xylem vessel
2. On a separate piece of paper, draw a labeled diagram of an animal cell. Identify at least 6 organelles in your diagram.
3. Identify which stage of mitosis each of the following cells is going through. Describe what is happening to the cell during this stage.
Name of Mitosis Stage
4. What will happen to a cell if the cell cycle checkpoints are not functioning properly?
5. State four things that can cause cancer, and state two properties of cancer cells.
6. What is a tissue? Explain the role of epithelial tissue in the human body.
7. What is the difference between adhesion and cohesion in a plant transport system?
8. List all of the digestive structures in sequential order, beginning with the mouth.
9. What is the function of the trachea and bronchi of your respiratory system?
10. Recall your biology symposium project. Discuss either one medical technology, one human disorder, or the role of stem cells in medical research.
CHEMISTRY: CHEMICAL PROCESSES
1. Compare and contrast the following terms: metal and non-metal polyatomic ion and polyvalent covalent bond and ionic bond acid and a base
2.Name the following:
a) Li3N b) O2 c) PCl3 d) Cu3PO4 e) Sn(NO3)2 f) CoF3 g) BaCO3 h) Ne i) N2O4
3. Give the chemical formula:
a) iron (III) acetate b) calcium hydroxide
c) lead (IV) phosphate d) carbon monoxide
e) ammonium sulfate f) diphosphorous pentoxide
g) cobalt (III) phosphate h) carbon tetrachloride j) zinc carbonate k) magnesium