Sahara and Mali Gain Independence

Topics: Mali, Sahara, Niger Pages: 2 (554 words) Published: May 12, 2010
2. In Urban areas was spoken in French, also French is Primary language os schools instruction. Other languages that they spoke was Fulfulde, Dogon, Senatou, and Jula. Most widely spoken tongue is Bambara. The Griot is a Special caste. The Griot reponsibility to recount and sing the great past.

3. In the 20th Century, the Mali was colonized. Mali became one of the French colony until 1960. Konare also began negotiating with Tuareg rebels, who had long struggled to gain independence for their light-skinned ethnic groups. In 1968, military groups brought Mousa Traore to power as president. Mali gain independence under a socialist government led by Modib Keita.

4. Mali population of 11.3 million is growing annually by 3 percent. About 90 percent of the Malians live in the fertile southern third of the country and the other 10 percent Malians live in the north. 75 percent of all the people live in rural areas. The 20 major ethnic groups of the country several comprise less than one percent of the population.

5. In Mali medical facilities and services are dequate or nonexistent in much of the country. The average is one doctor for every 17,000 people and one sickbed per 2,000 people. Clinics often don't have any staff or supplies. HIV/AIDS, influenza, dusentery, venereal, disease, guinea worm, and German measles cause frequent sickness. Other type of sickness sre yellow fever cholera, biharzia, and rabies. In Mali blindness is common. Public hygrene is poor in Urban areas, where sewage collects in open gutters.

6. Mali family tradition is different from United States. Men can have more that one wife. Most of the men have two wives, but a small percent of the men have up to three to four wives. The women do the chores in the house. The woman also do gardening, crafts, or selling home cooked food for money.

7. Mali contains 90 percent of Muslim and one percent of Christian. Muslim: honor Five Pillars of Faith by professing the name of Allah and...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Sahara Essay
  • Sahara Essay
  • Independence Essay
  • Independence Essay
  • Sahara Desert Essay
  • Independence day Essay
  • Sahara desert Essay
  • Independence Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free