SAFETY, EQUIPMENT , AND THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD Name:
1. A student enters their laboratory setting and is getting ready to set up. What preparations should be made? (16 points)
The pan student should know the reason for being there and be prepared with all the tools needed for the lab. They should follow all safety measures and make sure they understand the assignment. They should wear all PPE and read all instructions and labels carefully. The student should keep their area free of clutter, food, or any other unnecessary items. They should also know where all of the safety equipment is.
2. A student spills chemicals on his or her skin. Explain the procedure that should be followed. (16 points) The student should wash the area thoroughly with soap and water and notify an instructor.
3. List three things than one can do to protect oneself from contamination/injury in the laboratory. (24 points)
1) They can be familiar with all the equipment and read all labels/directions carefully 2) They can always wear proper PPE and always wear proper shoes and tie their hair back. 3) They should always be careful and responsible
4. Describe the equipment and explain the function of each of the following: (24 points) a. graduated cylinder
tall, skinny container that measures the volume of liquids.
A round container with a pouring identification that holds liquids.
a narrow container that releases fluids one drop at a time
5. Describe how to properly ignite and adjust a Bunsen burner. (20
To ignite the burner you should light a match away from the burner while you turn it on then slowly bring it to the top until it lights. To adjust the flame you can use the air intake valve.
6. Describe the hottest part of the flame. (10 points)
between the tip of the outer flame and the tip of the inner cone
7. List and describe the steps of the scientific method. (20...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document