Task A Booklet
Create a booklet about safeguarding, which can be used as a reminder for people who work in the care profession.
The booklet must:
Ai Describe in your own words what is meant by the following types of abuse:
• Physical abuse – Body harm.
• Sexual abuse – Forcing sexual behaviour.
Bruising around genital areas, fear from p/care…
• Emotional/psychological abuse –Verbal abuse to maintain power and control, taking empowerment away from an individual.
Fear of guving opinions or speaking out loud…
• Financial abuse –Taking money or making somebody financially dependant.
Money keep on disappearing from a wallet.
• Institutional abuse – Setting unflexible time frames
Having a strict schedule for diferent timings.
• Self neglect – Not taking care of ones needs by themself.
Poor hygiene, dirty clothes…
• Neglect by others – Needs being unattended to by people that could support & assist.
Malnutrition, poor hygiene…
Aii Identify signs and symptoms of the different types of abuse
Aiii Explain the correct actions to take if you suspect an individual is being abused
If an individual is suspected of being abused, I should inform my superior and keep an eye out for any possible developments, try to bring the subject up in conversation with the individual in a sensitive & respectful way.
Aiv Explain the correct actions to take if an individual tells you they are being abused
Listen calmly and patiently, try to comfort them, inform the manager of the home of what is going on, call the care workers & the police.
Av Identify how to ensure that any evidence of abuse is kept safe
Make an accurate written record of any conversations that are relevant between the service user & I, ensure written records are in a safe place, body map any kind of bruising or injuries, try to keep it all as it was until police investigators arrive