Central Visayas (Region VII)
2nd district of Cebu
Nelson Gamiel F. Garcia
85.53 km2 (33.02 sq mi)
550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)
Dumanjug is a third class municipality in the southwestern portion of Cebu Province, Philippines, about 73 kilometres (45 mi) south from Cebu City. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 46,754 people.
It was established in 1855 by Capitan Pedro Ricamora and Padre Agustin Melgar. Based on the Cadastral Survey Map of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the municipality has an effective land area of 8,544 hectares. It is situated between the Municipalities of Barili in the north and Ronda in the south. On the eastern border are the municipalities of Sibonga and Argao while on the western side is the Tañon Strait. Etymology
The origin of the name "Dumanjug" is shrouded in several legends. The most popular version is of a story about a certain Roman, popularly called by his nickname Duman, who was a coconut plantation owner and producer of tuba (palm wine) that was popular with the villagers because of its taste and quality. His bamboo cleaners would beat on the coconut palms to gather the tuba. One dawn, the villagers were surprised when the sound was not heard. At the same time some Spaniards passed by the village. When the strangers asked about the place, the villagers responded, “Si Duman nahulog!” (Duman fell!) Not comprehending what the people were saying, the strangers thought that the name of the place was Dumanahug. Later, the name was hispanized and became Dumanjug.
Another legend from the pre-Spanish era is about a small bay along Tañon Strait with a village called ‘Dunggoan’ (meaning dock or wharf). This place is now called Barangay Tangil. ‘Dunggoan’ was used by fishermen from the nearby villages to dock their fishing boats along its shoreline after a day’s catch. Among the villagers in ‘Dunggoan’ was a certain Ka Doman, who had a big, loud, roaring voice that he would use to shout to his brother across the bay. He therefore earned the nickname ‘Ka Doman Dahunog’. Again, when a Spanish officer visited ‘Dunggoan’, he heard the loud call of Ka Doman and inquired from the villagers about the sound. Thereafter, the place ‘Dunggoan’ was known as ‘Kang Doman-Dahunog’, gradually shortened to Doman-dahunog and eventually to Dumanjug for better articulation.
Municipal Officials as of May 2013
Mayor: Nelson (Nelson) G. Fiel Garcia
Vice-Mayor: Gun-Gun Gica
Rex Boquecosa, Ricardo(Cardo) C. Condes, Wado Gica, Joshua N. Dacumos, Evelinda (Belinda) T. Quirante, Josephine (Inday) P. Alpuerto, Ely Amadora, Meriam Llaño
Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish
San Vicente Parish
Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Church
Dumanjug is administratively subdivided into 37 barangays.
Si ‘Dumandahunog’: The Legend of Dumanjug
There are actually more than four different versions of the legend of Dumanjug, but one stood out from all the rest. For the purpose of coming up with a serious and thorough study, this writer made an analysis of the different versions and came up with the most believable and presumably precise one based on the query and the tiny bits of details as a result of the...
References: During the Commonwealth period, under the American Regime (November 15, 1935 – July 4, 1946), Pacifico Alpuerto was the first elected Municipal Mayor (1935-1937).
The Philippine Commonwealth Government was restored after the liberation when World War II ended on April, 1945. The Philippines was granted independence on July 4, 1946 by the Americans, hence the start of the Philippine Republic.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document