Root Cause Analysis
• Root Cause Analysis is a method that is used to address a problem or non-conformance, in order to get to the “root cause” of the problem. It is used so we can correct or eliminate the cause, and prevent the problem from recurring. • Traditional applications of Root Cause Analysis
– Resolution of customer complaints and returns. – Disposition of non-conforming material (Scrap and Repair) via the Material Review process. – Corrective action plans resulting from internal and customer audits.
• Through this training course, you will:
– Understand the meaning of “Root Cause” – Know the steps used to identify the root cause of problems.
What is Root Cause?
• Root Cause is the fundamental breakdown or failure of a process which, when resolved, prevents a recurrence of the problem.
Or, in other words
• For a particular product problem, Root Cause is the factor that, when you fix it, the problem goes away and doesn’t come back. • Root Cause Analysis is a systematic approach to get to the true root causes of our process problems.
Philosophy of Root Cause Analysis
• Each problem is an opportunity (“golden nugget”) because it can tell a story about why and how it occurred. • It is critical that everyone take a personal and active role in improving quality. • The “true” problem must be understood before action is taken.
– Problems are often masked for a variety of reasons
• To do this well, we must be – Both focused and open-minded – Both patient and quick – Above all, we must be relentless
We Perform Root Cause Analysis to Prevent Turnbacks and Customer Escapes from Recurring
Defects found at: Own Next Process Process Step Step Later Process Step Before Reaching Customer Found By Customer
Cost: $1 Very Minor $10 Minor Delay $100 Rework $1,000 Significant Rework
$10,000 Warranty Cost Admin. Cost Reputation Loss of Market Share
Reschedule Delay in