risk of being an obesity

Good Essays
Topics: Obesity
Obesity is where someone has high amount of body fat inside their body. According to Wikipedia, it defines obesity as medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and increased health problems. Actually obesity has bad impact in our body that sometimes we can’t even feel the impact. It could be a silent killer as when we are too eager to eat everything in front of our eyes without knowing how much fats, calories and the ingredient of the foods that will eventually effecting our health condition.
Another definition for “ obesity is defined as having an excessive amount of body fat. Obesity is more than just a cosmetic concern, though. It increases your risk of diseases and health problems such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. Being extremely obese means you are especially likely to have health problems related to your weight.” This definition comes from one of Mayo Clinic Staff. From the quote we can see that being obesity is a good thing as the effects of being obesity is bad and dangerous.
In addition, Wikipedia stated that, obesity is a leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing rates in adults and children. Authorities view it as one of the most serious public health problems of the 21st century. Obesity is stigmatized in much of the modern world (particularly in the Western world), though it was widely seen as a symbol of wealth and fertility at other times in history, and still is in some parts of the world. In 2013, the American Medical Association classified obesity as a disease. According to the Wikipedia we can see how dangerous actually obesity is.
Another definition of obesity are both labels for ranges of weight that are greater than what is generally considered healthy for a given height. The terms also identify ranges of weight that have been shown to increase the likelihood of certain diseases and

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Good Essays

    Health risks of obesity

    • 853 Words
    • 4 Pages

    What Are the Health Risks of Overweight and Obesity? Being overweight or obese isn't a cosmetic problem. These conditions greatly raise your risk for other health problems. Overweight and Obesity-Related Health Problems in Adults Coronary Heart Disease As your body mass index rises, so does your risk for coronary heart disease(CHD). CHD is a condition in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart.…

    • 853 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Obesity and Cancer Risk

    • 320 Words
    • 2 Pages

    According to the National Cancer Institute, obesity is a condition in which a person has an abnormally high and unhealthy proportion of body fat. Obesity is measured by calculating a person’s BMI. Years of research prove that there are connections between obesity and cancer risk. Research shows us that an increase in body weight increases insulin levels in the blood, which promote the development of certain tumors and tumor regulators. Fat cells also produce adipokine hormones, which stimulate cell…

    • 320 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Risk of obesity in teens

    • 672 Words
    • 3 Pages

    Risk of Obesity in Teens Obesity among teenagers is very significant, since most of teens remain same as over weighted in adulthood if they are uninformed of the risk. The obesity is occurred when energy consumed in is not equal to the energy restrained out, the number of calories we eat must be burned off or else the body stores these extra calories as fat. A couple of pounds of fat may not be health risk for most people. But when people keep up pattern of eating more calories than they burn…

    • 672 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Diabetes and Obesity; what are the risks for other disease. Dannie Goins University Composition and Communication 1 Dr. Shadia Gray June 21, 2013 Diabetes and Obesity; what are the risks for other diseases. (As of 2011, 25.8 million people, 8.3 percent of the U.S. population, are affected by diabetes.) Sadly out of 25.8 million people, 7 million people don’t even know that they have diabetes (http://ndep.nih.gov/diabetes-facts/)…

    • 1262 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Satisfactory Essays

    Being At Risk Student

    • 633 Words
    • 3 Pages

    FOR STUDENTS AT RISK. Monique Stewart AED/204 IDENTIFYING AT RISK STUDENTS • At risk students are considered to be at a higher disadvantage than others, & have a higher probability of not being successful in school due to circumstances thrown at them in life. • At risk students are considered to be at a higher disadvantage than others, & have a higher probability of not being successful in school due to circumstances thrown at them in life. FACTORS TO LOOK FOR IN HIGH RISK STUDENTS Girls •…

    • 633 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    What are the health risks of obesity? The number of people with obesity in the UK has more than trebled in the last 25 years. Doctors now say that the condition is reaching 'epidemic' proportions. Why are they so concerned? A person is considered obese if they are very overweight with a high degree of body fat. Some experts believe obesity is responsible for more ill health than smoking. Being significantly overweight is linked to a wide range of health problems, including: Diabetes Heart disease…

    • 532 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Satisfactory Essays

    Childhood obesity is a condition when a child's weight is greatly rotund for their age and height. According to WHO 43 million children worldwide are overweight or obese, Children who are heavy as a child turn to be fat as an adult. “ A child who is obese at age 6 has a 25% chance of being obese as an adult, and a child who is obese at age 12 has a 75% chance of being obese as an adult” (Barness, 2007). The roots of childhood obesity and their risk factors can be unhealthy eating, heritage and lifestyles…

    • 256 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    Brad Ward English 152 Dr. Reiter 10/13/2011 The Argument on Obesity being a Disease Roughly, in the United States, there are 60 million people with the problem of obesity. Uniquely, this disease affects women in the United States more than men. Obesity is a problem because both men and women of all ages are exposed to a large amount of food in their everyday lives. He or she should lose weight because Obesity it can bring on a lot of health issues. This issue is a “big’’ problem…

    • 920 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Powerful Essays

    Obesity

    • 5899 Words
    • 24 Pages

    INTRODUCTION 1.0 Introduction Obesity among students has become a national phenomenon. It becomes a concern among the public and school personnel - including teachers, school psychologists, and counselors, as to the effects of student obesity. With the numbers of student obesity on the rise, it is important to see how school personnel, teachers, as well as other students perceive this situation. Overweight and obese students have a higher risk of continuing to become overweight adolescents…

    • 5899 Words
    • 24 Pages
    Powerful Essays
  • Good Essays

    Obesity

    • 722 Words
    • 3 Pages

    Obesity in Saudi Arabia Today, the obesity problem is much of a concern for so many people all over the world. Obesity has caused a lot of talk among the world, in addition it is ranked as a serious disease. So what is obesity and what do we need to know about it. In Saudi Arabia today, obesity has become an enormous problem. In the past few years, we have seen the number of obese people is increasing dramatically. What is obesity? Obesity is an abnormal increase of body fat, usually 20% or…

    • 722 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays