- are those activities where an individual responds physically and
emotionally to music or any rhythmic accompaniment.
- is an activity or movement in which action or element recurs
Classification of Rhythm
1. External rhythm
- refers to nature and daily man’s activities.
2. Internal rhythm
- refers to man’s physical and mental process provides
internal rhythmic pattern.
- is derived from an old German word “danson” which means “
- is a continuous movement of the body in response to music.
- is an art of action.
Components of Dance
1. Dancer – it is through the body of the dancer that the art of
dancing is portrayed and the physical and emotional
characteristics of the dancer determine the quality
and the nature of dance.
2. Choreographer – the arranger of the dances either for a
soloist or a group. He is the creative mind that
invents the order and combination of steps, the
patterns of group dances, the communication of
narrative through dance and the extension of
dance techniques by using familiar actions in new
and more complex ways.
Characteristics of a Good Dancer
1. with strong muscles
2. with presence of mind
3. with good coordination of movement with the beat
4. with lightness of steps that carry over its ordinary movements
5. with grace
Types of Formation
Related Elements of Dance
Values of Dance
2. Cultural awareness
3. Neuro-muscular development
Reasons Why People Dance
3. Ritual, praise and worship God
Some Dance Forms
1. Modern dance - refers to creative and interpretative dance.
2. Folk dance - a cultural art form handed down from
generation to generation.
3. Social dance - a dance set in social gathering with more
formal atmosphere than the simple and
informal parties in which the recreational
dances are usual forms.
4. Contemporary dance - a combination of ballet and modern
- is a traditional dance of the people within a specific culture.
- is a traditional dance of a country which were evolved naturally
and spontaneously in connection with everyday activities and
experiences of the people who developed them.
Classification of Philippine Dances
1. Occupational – directing actions of certain occupation,
industry, or human labor.
2. Religious or Ceremonial – performed in connection with
3. Comic dance – directing funny movements for
4. Game dance – directing with play elements.
5. Wedding dance– performed during wedding feast.
6. Courtship dance – performed in connection with courtship
7. War dance – showing imaginary combat or duel.
8. Festival dance - suitable for special occasion or any social
Importance of Folk Dance
1. To foster patriotism and nationalism through the study of our
2. To arouse better appreciation of Phil. music and folk dances.
3. To provide, through dancing a healthful form of recreation and
4. To develop a graceful and rhythmic coordination of
movements that improves posture.
5. To arouse and keep the interest the interest of our children in
taking part and enjoying our own dances.
Characteristics of Phil. Folk Dances
1. In general, dancers stand apart.
2. There is little body contact.
3. Most of the dances are done by pairs or couples.
4. Hand movements play an important part.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document