KOREAN WAR North Korea [Communist] invaded South Korea [Capitalist].
Causes [memory word: DUCKS]
Domino theory - Truman thought that Far Eastern countries would fall like dominoes. China became Communist in 1949. Truman feared Japan would follow. He felt he had to stop this.
- - NSC 68 (April 1950) recommended that the US abandon 'containment' and start to 'roll back' Communism.
Cold War - Truman and Stalin were in a battle for world domination – Korea was a ‘war at arm’s length’.
Kim Il Sung - got Stalin’s and Mao tse Tung’s agreement to attack South Korea.
- (1950) – boasted he would attack North Korea – gave an excuse.
Events (5 phases) By June 1950
- the NKPA captured most of South Korea from the ROKs.
- UN troops, mainly Americans led by General MacArthur, drove the Communists back to the Chinese border.
October 1950 (4 things) - China attacked - drove the Americans back - advanced into South Korea. - MacArthur called for use of atomic bomb.
March 1950 (3 things) - The Americans sent reinforcements and drove back the Chinese (200,000 dead) - Truman told the troops to stop t the 38th parallel - Truman sacked MacArthur for criticising his orders.
1953 - Truce: America claimed successful containment. -
The Korean War, 1950–53 The Korean War was the time when the Cold War became a global conflict. In 1945, Korea was freed from the Japanese. US troops stayed in Korea until 1946. The country was split in half at the 38th parallel: North Korea (led by Kim Il Sung) was Communist. South Korea (led by Syngman Rhee) was capitalist. The two countries hated each other.
What caused it?
1. President Truman was interested in the Far East: Domino theory: Europe was not the