TABLE OF CONTENT
2. EMERGING TECHNOLOGY 1: BROADBAND DISTRIBUTION OVER POWER LINE 1. THE BROADBAND OVER POWER LINE TECHNOLOGY
2. IMPACT AND BENEFITS OF BPL ON THE SOCIETY
1. Ready Made Infrastructure
2. Evolution of Consumer Electronics Internet Communications: 3. Evolution of Consumer Electronics Internet Communications: 4. Other Societal impacts:
5. POWER UTILITY APPLICATION
3. Broadband over Power Line: The Challenges
1. Boundary Creation, Security and Overall Reliability of BPL Technology 2. Imminent Large and Unmanageable Network.
3. Radio Frequency Interferences
4. Organizational Challenges
5. Economic Challenges
6. Rural and Remote Location Challenges
3. EMERGING TECHNOLOGY 2: WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION
2. DESCRIPTION OF THE WIRELESS TRANSMISSION TECHNOLOGY
3. IMPACT AND BENEFIT OF WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION ON THE SOCIETY 4. EFFECTS AND CONSIDERATIONS OF WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION TECHNOLOGY 3. CONCLUSION
The two major technologies that have affected the human existence more than any other are Electricity and Communication technologies. All activities including businesses in modern society have become almost completely dependent on the sustainable supply of electric power and communication. It is no longer a real mission critical systems, but also normal life functions that suffer heavily in case of interruption.
Many of third world and developing countries’ stunted economic growth have been attributed to the lack or inconsistent nature of power supply and communication infrastructure. The UK Parliamentary Post note of March 2006, reported that access to consistent power supply and Information and communication technology (ICT) will play a major role in bringing out developing countries out of depressing state of extreme poverty and tackle a wide incidences of health, socioeconomic problems in the process of meeting the seven Millennium Development Goals such as attainment of the universal primary education and global partnership.
The paper will therefore focus on these two technologies, exploring the emerging technologies in the field of Information and Communication technologies distribution and Electric power transmission. These are 1. Broadband distribution over power line
2. Wireless electricity transmission
These technologies development are aimed at easing the day to day life of users of these technologies. Chapter Two, explores the possibilities of broadband distribution over power line focusing on the technology, the impact on the society and the challenges before nationwide implementation of the technology. Chapter three explores the emergency of transmission of electricity wirelessly to eliminate the use of wires. The technology is described including the benefits it could bring to the society. Concerns over possible hazards in commercial implementation were also discussed. Chapter four is the summary and conclusion of the work done while Chapter five have the references used in the work. CHAPTER 2
BROADBAND DISTRIBUTION OVER POWER LINE
Broadband and the Internet are a viable tools in human day to day activity and its fast becoming invisible and ubiquitous that no one is think or consider its social effects any more than electricity is at this current age or how national social and economic development hinged on it.
Even though there is low or no access for rural dwellers, there is a geometric increase in numbers of internet users within the urban community; the demand for easy, fast and cost effective distribution is needed. Many services providers have been rolling out fibre optics cables to homes. Virgin Media and British telecom are in forefront of deployment of these cables in the UK. However, the primary focus of these service providers will be on high-density,...
References: 4. HomePlug Powerline Alliance, “HomePlug AV White Paper,” August 18, 2005 (Accessed at May 25, 2006, at http://www.homeplug.org/en/docs/HPAV-White-Paper_050818.pdf)
6. W. David Gardner, “Wireless Survey: Many Nets Open To Security Breaches”, Information Week, Mar 10, 2005
8. Fink, D.; Rho Jae Jeung; , "Feasible connectivity solutions of PLC for rural and remote areas," Power Line Communications and Its Applications, 2008. ISPLC 2008. IEEE International Symposium on , vol., no., pp.158-163, 2-4 April 2008
12. Carlson, W.B.; , "Harnessing the earth: Nikola tesla and the idea of broadcasting electric power, 1890–1905," Electric Power, 2007 IEEE Conference on the History of , vol., no., pp.10-47, 3-5 Aug. 2007
14. Wenzhen Fu; Bo Zhang; Dongyuan Qiu; Wei Wang; , "Analysis of transmission mechanism and efficiency of resonance coupling wireless energy transfer system," Electrical Machines and Systems, 2008
16. Marin Soljačić, Aristeidis Karalis, J.D. Joannopoulos, Efficient wireless non-radiative mid-range energy transfer. Physics, 2007.
18. Esser A., "Contactless charging and communication for electric vehicles", IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 6, Nov.-Dec. 1995 Page(s):4 – 11
Please join StudyMode to read the full document