Assignment for 4-02-09
1) Read Chapter 9
2) Do #5 under Get Out & Do It on pg 274. Be prepared to discuss your choice and reasons for it during class on Thursday. 3) Answer Discussion Questions 1,3,5,7 on pg 275. Put these in Digital Drop Box. 4) Read Retailing View 10.1 on pg 281 and Retailing View 10.3 on pg 294. 5) Read Chapter 10 Summary on pg 302.
6) Answer Discussion Question #5 on pg 303.
7) Do the Discussion Board Question.
1. Human Resource Management is especially important in retailing due to the simple fact that it involves such a vital aspect of any and every retailing organization-the employees! What is a retailing business without people working for it, with it, and toward the productivity goals and company objectives? Employees play a huge role in performing the critical functions of any business, which is why HR management is more important in retailing than in manufacturing firms, where capital equipment such as machinery, computer systems, and robotics are often utilized to perform the jobs employees once did. Retailing, along with service businesses stay the same in their tendency to be labor focused and intensive. Retailers depend on PEOPLE to perform the basic retailing activities, such as buying, merchandise displaying, and providing service to customers.
3. Designing the organization structure for a retail firm identifies the activities to be performed by specific employees as well as decides the lines of authority and responsibility in the firm. The four main categories include strategic, merchandise, store, and administrative management. In retail firms, the main operating managers are involved in merchandise management, and store management. The design of the organizational structure must coordinate with the firm's retail strategy, for example, a single-store retailer has little specialization, because the number of employees is limited and they have to perform a wide range of activites. With an increase in...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document