Reservation Is Boon or Bane

Topics: Creamy layer, Other Backward Class, Mandal Commission Pages: 4 (1200 words) Published: July 25, 2010
Reservation A Boon or Bane

Reservation is the hot topic of the day. There are endless debates going on at various platforms and levels. Some vehemently oppose it same die hardly support and some stay neutral.

Before going on to support or oppose it, first of all we have to detach our emotions from the topic and look at the issue who us tically

The issue of reservation cropped up soon after our independence and a committee under Mr. Keleekar was appointed the recommendations of the committee were rejected on the basis of their impracticality.

Again Mandal Commission was constituted which submitted it report in 1980. The report was gathering dust in the office for almost a decade until V.P. Singh govt. decided to implement it in 1992. As per the recommendations, 27% of the seats were to be reserved for OBC’S and 22.5% of seats for SC and ST’s there by making a total reservation of 49.5% and remaining 51.5% for the general category in all government postings. Immediately the order was challenged in the supreme court. The court upheld the allotment with the order of excluding the ‘Creamy Layer’ among other Backward class (OBC’s)

The present government has decided to implement the 27% reservation for OBC’s in institutions of higher learning like IIT’s, IIM’s AIIMS etc. And this is what that has created a great stir among the students, medical doctors and public in general.

Boon Or Bane
The system of reservation is a unique one which is definitely needed in a society like ours in which contain sections of the society have been depressed for ages. Such societies may not be in the same state of depression presently, but they cannot compete with other high classes who have had all privileges for countries. Reservation has many advantages especially for those downtrodden societies. 1.It ensures equity i.e it provides equitable opportunities. By introducing competition among those who are equal in all aspects provides social justice...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Boon & Bane
  • Boon or Bane Essay
  • reservation a bane or boon Essay
  • Boon or Bane Research Paper
  • Boon or Bane Essay
  • Boon or Bane Essay
  • Reservation Essay
  • Essay about Reservation

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free