Research Proposal

Topics: Marketing, Marketing research, Market research Pages: 5 (1036 words) Published: January 29, 2013
MKT4030 Marketing Research Methods


Management Decision Problem of McDonald’s Arabia.

Executive Summary

We are pleased to submit this research proposal for McDonald’s retaining their competitive position management decision problem. We have provided information, which we feel, will help illustrate what course of action should McDonald’s Arabia take to retain and expand its market share as well as improve its marketing strategies. The research would be completed in an estimated 8 weeks

1) Background Research

McDonald’s began as a barbeque restaurant in 1940 operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald and was recognized as a hamburger stand in 1948 using production line principles. Ray Kroc a businessman joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. In 1957 the company adopted quality, service, cleanliness and value as its motto. (, 2012)

McDonald's is the largest and best-known global food service retailer with 34,000 restaurants around the world in 119 countries serving 69 million customers. (, 2012)

A franchisee, an affiliate, or the corporation itself operates a McDonald’s restaurant. McDonald’s owns about 20% of the restaurants. The remaining 80% are operated by franchises. (, 2012)

The Emirates Fast Company is the owner and operator of more than 90 McDonald restaurants in the UAE. Established in 1994 it is committed to providing highest quality of products to every customer. (, 2012)

McDonald Arabia’s current marketing campaign in the UAE is very basic. Their main mode of advertising is through radio and billboards. McDonald itself is a brand with high reputation and is known as the most popular fast food chain in the world.

However in the UAE market it’s competitors such as Just Falafel and KFC are becoming more advanced with eMarketing and other methods of marketing as opposed to McDonald’s.

Firstly the advantage the competitors have over McDonald’s in the local market is that they home deliver to most parts of the UAE as opposed to McDonald’s who only deliver to the Media City. Secondly the online presence that the competitors have is huge when it is compared to McDonald’s. KFC has a much detailed website providing information about the menu, offers and campaigns. KFC recently did a competition with their customers to win JLo concert tickets. Just Falafel does heavy marketing on various social media sites. In addition they also have promotions on the popular GroupOn.

Bottom line is competitors are finding newer and innovative ways to market and attract customers.

2) Management Decision Problem

The Management Decision Problem faced by McDonald Arabia is how they can retain their number one position against competitors in the UAE market.

Marketing Research Problem

To find out consumers perception towards the current marketing strategy of McDonald’s Arabia, and ways through which they can improve it so as to retain their competitive position in the market.

3) Market Research Objectives

The objective of the study is to understand and evaluate customer’s perceptions about the current marketing campaign used by McDonald’s Arabia. These will be accomplished by the following sub-objectives.

1) To examine what are the customer’s views about McDonalds Arabia’s branding compared to its competitors. * What are the current customer’s perceptions towards McDonald’s Arabia? * What determines customer retention and increase of sales compared to competitors? 2) To examine the impact caused towards customers when using non-traditional methods of marketing as opposed to traditional marketing.

4) Research Design

Exploratory Research

Firstly we would start by the collection of secondary data that will be done through exploratory research. This will include...

References: (2012). Company Profile.
Available: [Accessed on 29th November 2012] (2012). Local Ownership.
Available:Http:// [Accessed on 29th November 2012] (2012). The Ray Kroc Story.
Available: [Accessed on 29th November 2012]
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Research Proposal Sample
  • Essay about proposal
  • research proposal Essay
  • ITECH5500 Research Proposal Assignment Essay
  • Research Proposal and Proposal Review Essay
  • Research Proposal Essay
  • Essay on Research Proposal
  • Research Proposal Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free