SECOND REGULAR SESSION
Begun and held in Metro Manila, on Monday, the twenty-second day of July, nineteen hundred and ninety-six
[REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8203]
AN ACT OF PROHIBITING COUNTERFEIT DRUGS, PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS AND APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFOR
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled:
SECTION 1. Title – This Act shall be known as the "Special Law on Counterfeit Drugs."
SECTION 2. Declaration of Policy -It is hereby the policy of the State to protect and promote the right to health of the people and instill health consciousness among them as provided in Section 15 Article 11 of the Constitution.
It is also further declared the policy of the State that in order to safeguard the health of the people, the State shall provide for their protection against counterfeit drugs.
SECTION 3. Definition of Terms – For purposes of this Act, the terms:
(a) Drugs shall refer to any chemical compound or biological substance, other than food, intended for use in the treatment, prevention or diagnosis of disease in man or animals, including but not limited to:
(1) any article recognized in the official United States Pharmacopoeia – National Formulary (USP-NF), official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, Philippines National Drug Formulary, British Pharmacopoeia, any National Compendium or any supplement to any of them;
(2) any article intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or animals;
(3) any article other than food intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or animals;
(4) any article intended for use as a component of any articles specified in clauses (1), (2), (3) not including devices or their components, parts, or accessories; and
(5) herbal and/or traditional drugs which are articles of plant or animal