Refusal Skills – Work File
Read each of the case studies located on the activities page in the assessment and choose one of the case studies to complete the refusal sequence.
Using the refusal skills sequence, complete the case scenario by indicating how you would refuse to be involved in the situation. Include all eight steps of the refusal sequence, and use the format indicated below for each step.
(List the step then the action)
Answer the reflection question below the eight steps.
1. What are they asking me to do and why?
They are asking me to participate in an activity that is illegal and against my personal values. (Double space after each answer.)
Case Study Number 2
1. What are they asking me to do and why? (10 points)
One of the most popular boys at my school has given me a second chance. He has invited me to one of his wild parties.
2. Label what they are asking you to do (i.e. illegal, dangerous, etc.). (10 points) He is asking me to lie to my parents about where I’m going and to participate in illegal activities such as drug use and underage drinking.
3. Determine the consequences if you get caught or if you participate in this activity. (10 points)
If I were to get caught my family would not be able to trust me and possibly restrict me from going to places.
4. Communicate my refusal. (10 points)
Lying to my parents is something that I cannot do. I cannot go against my morals.
5. Say no. (10 points)
No, I do not feel like getting into an immense amount of trouble over a party.
6. Use "I" statements. (10 points)
I feel that you are trying to put me in a dangerous situation because you want me to be popular.
7. Suggest an alternative. (10 points)
No I would not like to go to your party but I would like to order a pizza. I am starving.
8. Leave the scene and avoid questionable places. (10 points) I have to go now since I have to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document