ANCIENT WISDOM IS RAY OF NEW HOPE FOR CANCER MANAGEMENT- HERBO-METALO; HERBO-MINERALO THERAPEUTICS
Dhruve K. D.*, Modha J. K.**, Prajapati P. K. ***
Department of Rasa shastra & Bhaishjya Kalplana including Drug Research, Institute for Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda, Gujarat Ayurved University,
*Ph.D. Scholar, Department of Rasa Shastra & Bhaishjya Kalplana including Drug Research,
**Lecturer, Dept. of Rasa shashtra & Bhaishajya Kalpana, Shree Gulabkunverba Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Jamangar.
***Professor and Head of the Department of Rasa Shastra & Bhaishjya Kalplana including drug research, and Dean, Institute for Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda, Gujarat Ayurved University,
*: For correspondence
ANCIENT WISDOM IS RAY OF NEW HOPE FOR CANCER MANAGEMENT- HERBO-METALO; HERBO-MINERALO THERAPEUTICS Abstract: Cancer has become one of the biggest challenge to the scientific community world over as the complexity is at every level of treatment. It is a wise step to conserve the knowledge & to find out the relatively safe, effective and economical solution for cancer. So the scientific community worldwide is looking at traditional holistic system of the medicines for a satisfactory approach in this direction. In age old ancient classics of Ayurveda, toxicity of raw metals and minerals and therapeutic uses after conversion of such metals and minerals in to medicinal forms known as Bhasma are described briefly. Such Bhasma are being practiced in India for treating various types of cancers since centuries. Here in the present article, an effort has been made to introduce the ancient wisdom and its relevance in modern era on the bases of recent research works done world over. Keywords: Cancer; Medicine, Treatment, Bhasma, Nano technology, Rasa Shashtra, Ayurveda, latest research. INTRODUCTION:
Treating cancer is a big challenge as the complexity is at every level; of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, & Gene Expression. Many therapies including Surgery, Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy, MDT, Hormone Therapy, Blood Transfusion etc. are being screened to cure such diseases But limited success in these diseases [like in cancer with all conventional therapeutics overall 2.4% survival for 5 years after diagnosis] due to various factors like resistance, difficulty in targeting the specific disease area and additionally, toxicity of the drugs, Ablative Surgery, Radiation Damage and Chemotherapy Hazards.
Cancer research is the intense scientific effort to understand disease processes and discover possible therapies. The improved understanding of molecular biology and cellular biology due to cancer research has led to a number of new, effective treatments for cancer since President Nixon declared "War on Cancer" in 1971. Since 1971 the United States has invested over $200 billion on cancer research; that total includes money invested by public and private sectors and foundations. Despite this substantial investment, the country has seen a five percent decrease in the cancer death rate (adjusting for size and age of the population) between 1950 and 2005. (1) Moreover drug research is a very costly task now a day. Studies published in 2006 report an average pre-tax cost of approximately $ 500 million to 2,000 million dollars depending on the therapy or the developing firm.(2) These figures relate only to new, innovative drugs (drugs with a New Chemical Entity BCE, also called New Active Substance NAS). Each year, worldwide, only about 26 such drugs enter the market (2005: 26, 2004: 24, 2003: 26, 2002: 28). The $800 million quoted include the cost of all drug development which did not result in a new drug. It also includes some 400 million $ of opportunity costs. In India, traditional medicinal knowledge is very scientific and rich due to it is in...
References: 1. Kolata, Gina (April 23, 2009). "Advances Elusive in the Drive to Cure Cancer". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/health/policy/24cancer.html. Retrieved 2009-05-05. (Last viewed on 14th March, 2010)
3. Johnston, Barbara and Webb, Ginger (1997). "Turmeric Patent Overturned in Legal Victory". HerbalGram Fall 1997 (41): 11.
6. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gold-Against-Cancer-66669.shtml (Last viewed on 14th March, 2010)
8. http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?id=889 (Last viewed on 14th March, 2010)
10. Soignet SL, Maslak P, Wang Z-G, et al. Complete remission after treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia with arsenic trioxide. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1341-1348.
11. Douer D, Tallman MS. Arsenic trioxide: new clinical experience with an old medication in hematologic malignancies. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:2396-2410.
12. Chen G-Q, Shi X-G, Tang W, et al. Use of arsenic trioxide (As2O3) in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL): I. As2O3 exerts dose-dependent dual effects on APL cells. Blood. 1997;89:3345-3353.
16. Agnivesha, Charaka Samhita, Hindi commentary by Pandit Kashinath Shastri and Dr. Gorakhnath Chaturvedi, Chaukhamba Bharati Academy, Varanas,1st edition, 2001
18. Upadhyay M., Ayurved Prakasha, Mishra G. S., Sanskrit Hindi Commentary Chaukhamba Bharati Academy, Varanasi, 1999. 2/30
Table 1: various types of cancer and similar conditions described in Ayurveda texts
Please join StudyMode to read the full document