Quiz 6 Key
1. Neither N2 nor O2 are greenhouse gases because
A. N2 and O2 react with one another, producing N2O2 when exposed to infrared radiation.
B. their overall electric charge distribution does not change when they vibrate.
C. infrared radiation causes their bonds to break.
D. their atmospheric concentrations are not changed by human activity. Remember that greenhouse gases have a change in bond structure when interacting with infrared radiation. 2. Find the molar mass of ethanol, C2H6O.
A. 29.02 g/mol
B. 45.06 g/mol
C. 46.07 g/mol
D. 110.0 g/mol
3. How many atoms are present in 0.375 mol of palladium (Pd) atoms?
A. 1.61 1024
B. 6.02 1023
C. 2.26 1023
D. 2.12 1021
Remember that one mole is 6.02 x 1023 items
4. Octane (C8H18) is one of the principal components of gasoline. How many moles of CO2 are produced during the combustion of 3.0 mol of octane?
Unbalanced equation: C8H18 + O2 CO2 + H2O
D. 26 Remember to balance the equation then use those coefficients as a mole ratio. 5. Ethanol (C2H6O) is a common intoxicant and fuel produced from the fermentation of various grains. How many moles of ethanol are represented by 50.0 kg of ethanol?
A. 1.09 103 mol
B. 46.1 mol
C. 9.00 mol
D. 1.09 mol Remember that 50.0 kg is 50,000 g.
6. The carbon cycle refers to the
A. mechanism by which carbon dioxide causes global warming.
B. frequency of light energy that affects the rotational energy of carbon dioxide.
C. oxidation of glucose to form carbon dioxide and water.
D. movement of carbon through living organisms, the atmosphere, the sea, and the earth. Remember that this is one of the global elemental cycles.
7. Although coal is a complex mixture of substances, its elemental composition can be approximated by the formula C135H96O9NS. Using this chemical formula, calculate the percentage, by mass, of carbon (C) in coal.
D. 20% Remember that...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document