Storyline for Acts
Place these events in order of appearance in Acts of the Apostles, chapters 1-7. (Rank 1-8.)
__5__ Healing of the cripple at the Temple
__1__ The Ascension
__8__ First Christian Martyr
__7__ The Apostles need assistants (ordination of deacons)
__6__ Trial before the Sanhedrin
__2__ Choosing a replacement apostle
__4__ First proclamation of the “kerygma” and first baptisms
Questions: From Lecture (i.e. teacher commentary during class time reading of Acts, from footnotes, and the text of Acts 2-7.)
1. When Peter speaks to the crowd that gathered after Pentecost he invites them to do two things.
What are they?
b.) Be baptized
2. How is repentance a positive concept? (footnote 2, 38) a change of mind and heart toward God reflected in the actual goodness of one’s life.
3. What does the footnote 2,38 mean when it says that the invitation to repent and be baptized is
“in accord with the apostolic teaching derived from Jesus”?
They understood it to be from His teaching
4. In Acts Luke presents baptism as the (a.) ______________ and associates it with (b.) ___________ (the end of footnote 2,38)?
a.) the expected response to the apostolic preaching about Jesus
b.) the conferring of the Spirit
5. In interpreting the meaning of the “Pentecost event” what “office” was Peter exercising?
6. Why were Peter and John going to the Temple to pray in the middle of the day? (2: 46) There was little or no thought of any dividing line between Christianity and Judaism. They still felt they were Jewish
7. Who hauled Peter, John, and the beggar to the Sanhedrin to stand trial, and what did they take exception (object) to? The Sadducees who object to the teaching about the resurrection
8. What was the issue surrounding this cure? The issue concerns the authority by which Peter and John publicly teach