Name: Summer Whitney
WGU Task Objective Number: 602.8
GENERAL INFORMATION 50min.
Lesson Title & Subject(s): Using Puppets to demonstrate letters and sounds.
Topic or Unit of Study: Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
Instructional Setting: Kindergarten classroom, 23 students will be sitting at desks for presentation of new information on Phonemic Awareness. Then students will be put into groups of three by teacher for independent practice to segment CVC words. Teacher will group student according to their level. Lower students will be put with higher level students.
STANDARDS, GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Your State Core Curriculum/Student Achievement Standard(s):
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2d Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words.1 (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
* The students will be able to identify cvc words by listening to them spoken in segments only. Students will Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words.1 (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
* Students will listen and say CVC words as the teacher uses the puppet to sound out each word. Once 95% of the class can build the words the students create their own puppets and work in their groups to say the segmenting words. Students will Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. Student will have a mastery of 4 out of 5 words.
MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
CVC word list (teacher list)
CVC words cards 3 sets of 5 cards per group.
READINGRESOURCE.com (2013), A Scholastic company (2006). Teacher’s friend: Alphabet Puppets.
Sequence of Instructional Procedures/Activities/Events (provide description and indicate approximate time for each):
1. Identification of Student Prerequisite Knowledge and/or Skills: Students need to have prior knowledge of their letter and sounds. Students need to be able color, cut, and glue.
Student need to be able to repeat the sounds and words after the teacher. Teacher will model appropriate letter sound and segment.
2. New Knowledge and/or Skills To Be Taught:
Concept: The ability to hear and manipulate the sounds in spoken words and to understand that spoken words (syllables) are made up of segments. Blending sounds helps the students sound out the word. They also can stretch out the sound of the letter (segment). I will start with CVC words 3 letter words that can be changed into different words.
3. Modeling: I Do 5min.
The teacher will introduce the class to Bob the bear. Bob the bear only knows how to speak in segments. Teacher: What is your name?
Puppet: /b/ /o/ /b/
Teacher: How old are you?
Puppet: /s/ /i/ /x/
Teacher: Who is your teacher?
Puppet: /y/ /oo/
Teacher: Bob can you help us learn some new words?
Puppet: /y/ /e/ /s/
The teacher will then have the puppet say the list of CVC words in segments. The students repeat the word in segment and then as a fluid word. Example:
Puppet: /b/ /e/ /d/
Class: /b/ /e/ /d/ bed
4. Guided Practice: We Do 20min.
The teacher will then have the puppet say the list of CVC words in segments and record the class repeating the word in segment. The students repeat the word in segment and then as a fluid word. The Teacher will use recorder to play back the segmented words so the students can hear them. Students will informally assess during guided practice.
Puppet: /b/ /e/ /d/
Please join StudyMode to read the full document