DIPLOMA IN GENERAL MANAGEMENT
“PROMOTING THE ART, SCIENCE AND PRACTICE OF GOOD, SOUND MANAGEMENT”
ZIMBABWE INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT
A hearty welcome to the Zimbabwe Institute of Management Public Relations Module.
Why Study PR
Public relations practices interwoven in all business and economic activities of any organisation.
In the way we interact with colleagues, customers, suppliers and opinion leaders. Successful deals are as a result of good public relations. In business it’s not what you say that is of greatest value but how you say it.
The legal and regulatory environments of business are also crying out for Public relations solutions to facilitate good investment climates.
This Public Relations module aims to review the role and scope of the functions of Public Relations in contemporary organisation define and describe the Development of Public Relations in Business, to analyse the six points planning model of any public relations programme and review the Public Relations transfer process.
At the end of this module participants will be able to:-
• Define Public Relations • Identify Publics in organisation • Describe the planning process in Public Relations • Distinguish Public Relations from marketing and propaganda • Evaluate the importance of PR to organisations. • Relate the transfer process to real issues • Measure the success of a PR programme
• Presenter led material • Transparencies used throughout • Group work and discussion • Question and answer sessions to test understanding • Hand outs • Exercises
1. Definition of Public Relations
2. What are Publics in Public Relations
3. Essential distinctions
4. Public relations strategy
5. The transfer process
6. In-house PR versus consultancy PR
7. Routine PR functions
8. Non routine PR