Profile of the Organizations
Engineering Sector Situation:
The engineering sector in Bangladesh continues to grow each year. This labor-intensive sector produces a diverse range of items, including import substitute machinery spares, plant machineries, small tools, toys, consumer items and paper products for the domestic market. Most of these enterprises are located in and around Dhaka metropolis. This sector mainly comprises of small and medium enterprises that give employment to 30% of the country’s workforce (est. 2008). It generates 25% of the GDP and 40% of the gross manufacturing output. Bangladesh’s engineering sector is one of the largest and most diverse, producing a wide variety of machinery and spare parts. There are several mills and factories, producing steel, plastics, Automobile, garments, cotton, paper, textile, pharmaceuticals and fertilizers etc. Infrastructure is developing swiftly in terms of water distribution, power supply, communications and transportation. Engineering sector help economy in such ways-
Increasingly affluent middle class creating demand for consumer durables.
Export-oriented production has experienced strong growth in past few years.
Currently about 10,000 types of different items are manufactured for the local industry.
As demand grows for engineering and electronic goods, so does demand for light engineering products.
Government provides cash incentive facilities to exporters of value-added light engineering products. So it can be said that engineering sector is one of the lucrative sector for investment. Investors can get higher return because the total industry performance is moderate in engineering sector. It will be clear if we look at the sector wise market composition
There are 24 firms listed in Dhaka stock Exchange. They are- Engineering
1.AFTAB AUTOMOBILES LIMITED
2.BANGLADESH LAMPS LIMITED
3.EASTERN CABLES LIMITED
4. SINGER BANGLADESH LIMITED.
5. BANGLADESH AUTOCARS LIMITED
6. QUASEM DRYCELLS LIMITED.
7. RENWICK JAJNESWAR & COMPANY(BANGLADESH) LTD.
8. NATIONAL TUBES LIMITED.
9. NATIONAL POLYMER INDUSTRIES LIMITED
10. NAVANA CNG LIMITED
11. AZIZ PIPES LIMITED.
12. OLYMPIC INDUSTRIES LIMITED.
13. ATLAS BANGLADESH LIMITED.
14. BANGLADESH THAI ALUMINIUM LIMITED.
15. KAY & QUE (BANGLADESH) LIMITED.
16. RANGPUR FOUNDRY LTD.
17. ANWAR GALVANIZING LIMITED
18. MONNO JUTE STAFLLERS LTD
19. S. ALAM COLD ROLLED STEEL LTD.
20. GOLDEN SON LTD.
21. BSRM STEELS LIMITED
22. DESHBANDHU POLYMER LIMITED
23. GPH ISPAT LTD.
24. BENGAL WINDSOR THERMOPLASTIC
BSRM Steels Limited:
BSRM Steels Limited was incorporated in 1952 by two fearless businessmen named “Taherali Africawala” and “Akberali Africawala”. BSRM started first steel re-rolling mill in East Bengal. At the year of 1984, BSRM introduces high strength cold twisted steel bars to the construction industry. BSRM introduced ASTM six hundred and fifteen grade sixty reinforced steel bars in 1987. BSRM was running at a good pace after 1987, and in 1996, it commissioned the largest billet-making plant in the country. Ten years later, BSRM acquainted micro-reinforcement wires for low cost rural construction. BSRM Group contributed nearly hundred crore taka to the national exchequer in taxes, levies, duties and VAT in the year of 2008, at the same year, they had presented Grade 500 steel bars, the current international standard for modern construction – BSRM Xtreme 500 W. Their vision is Maintain leadership position in the steel industry by producing the best quality steel products, continuously enhancing customer satisfaction and becoming a reliable business partner of our customers and suppliers. BSRM Steels Limited enlisted in Dhaka Stock Exchange (dsebd) on 2009, it’s been rated as “A” category share under the Engineering sector as on 02-08-2012. S. Alam Cold Rolled Steels Ltd.:
S. Alam group is a Bangladeshi industrial group, which is formed by the collaboration of many...
References: 5. Zeitun, R. and tian, G. (2007), “Capital structure and corporate performance: evidence from Jordan”, Australasian Accounting Business and Finance Journal, Vol. 1, pp. 40-53.
1. Atlas Bangladesh homepage cited July 15, 2013 (http://www.atlas.gov.bd/)
2. Aziz pipes ltd. homepage cited July 18, 2013 (http://www.azizpipes.com/)
3. BSRM steel homepage cited July 15, 2013 (http://www.bsrm.com/)
4. DSE blog (2013) cited July 20, 2013 (http://www.dsebdblog.org/category/engineering/)
5. Investopaedia (2013) profitability Ratio analysis cited July 20, 2013 (http://www.investopaedia.com)
6. National polymer industries ltd. homepage cited July 18, 2013 (http://www.nationalpolymer.net/)
7. Rangpur Foundry Ltd
8. S. Alam cold rolled steel homepage cited July 15, 2013 (http://s.alamgroupbd.com//)
9. Stock Bangladesh (2013) cited July15, 2013 (http://www.stockbangladesh.com/symbols/sectorwise)
10. Stock Bangladesh (2013) cited July15, 2013( http://www.stockbangladesh.com/resources/sectorcompare)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document