Click here to watch a video on how to use this 20 Day Plan! Before diving into the content in the 20 Day Plan, review this: ● Complete the first section of the Course of Study entitled “Chemistry Fundamentals” prior to working through this document. ● Login to TaskStream and print off the task instructions. As you work through this material, take notes by looking at the task instructions in order to be sure your notes contain answers to the task questions. ● Be sure to review the Rubric Walkthrough Videos at the end of each section to clarify any questions you might have about the task instructions.
● Save your models! If you need revisions, you won’t want to build it again, especially if it’s a really simple fix! :) ● If you have never used powerpoint before, this short video explains some of the things you can do in powerpoint: Getting Started in PowerPoint. If you would like additional help with computers or powerpoint, you can contact the Student Success Center by filling out this form. If you don’t have PowerPoint, no worries! Google has a super easy and free equivalent that you can access using your WGU login - this video shows you how: Using Google Drive to make presentations.
Lipids – Complete and submit in 2-3 days
The Structure of Lipids (Day One)
Work through the following subsections in Thinkwell Biochemistry section 2.6 ("Lipids and Nucleic Acids") by watching the videos and reading the notes:
● subsection 2.6.1 ("Lipids: An Introduction") (video length: 8:29) ● subsection 2.6.2 ("Saturated vs. Unsaturated Fats") (video length: 9:28)
● subsection 2.6.3 ("Phospholipids, Waxes, and Steroids") (video length: 10:13)
Watch this YouTube video on lipid structure:
● “Lipid Structure”
Fatty Acid Models (Day One)
Using gumdrops and toothpicks, or other household materials, create 2 three-dimensional models: one of a saturated fatty acid and one of an unsaturated fatty acid. Be sure to label or color-code the different atoms and make sure that all single and double bonds are clear. Take a picture of your models to include in your performance task on lipids. Watch this youtube video on making models:
● “Making Models”
Lipids within the Plasma Membrane (Day One)
Work through the following subsections in Thinkwell Biochemistry by watching the videos and reading the notes:
● Subsection 3.1.4 ("Membranes: Basic Structure") (video length: 10:24)
● Subsection 3.4.2 ("The Plasma Membrane: The Fluid Mosaic Model") (video length: 8:16)
Plasma Membrane Drawing (Day One)
Draw a diagram of the fluid mosaic model of a plasma membrane. Be sure to identify the following:
● hydrophobic part of the bilayer
● hydrophilic part of the bilayer
● membrane protein(s)
Take a picture of your diagram to include in your performance task on lipids.
Lipids are Energy (Day Two)
Watch the following video:
● "How do Fatty Acids Make Energy?"
Watch the first 3:45 of the following subsection in Thinkwell Biochemistry and review the notes:
● subsection 4.4.4 ("Other Fuels in Respiration") (video length: 11:14, only watch the first 3:45 on lipids)
Read the section from chapter 2 on energy in Biochemistry Free and Easy:
● “Oxidative Energy” through “Entropy and Energy” (pages 24-28, PDF pages 6-10)
Read the section from chapter 6 on the breakdown of fatty acids in Biochemistry Free and Easy:
● “Fatty Acid Oxidation” (pages 150-151, PDF pages 25-26) Lipids in the Body (Day Two)
Review the following websites about how the body...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document