Unit three: Principles of managing information and producing documents
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 5 pages and is made up of 4 Sections.
Section 1 – Understand the purpose of information technology in a business environment
1. In relation to your current business environment (or one that you are familiar with), identify at least two different types of information technology that may be used when completing work tasks.
Microsoft word- I use it myself for letter writing, résumé creation, card creation and writing my study assessments.
Intranet- it is a computer network that uses Internet Protocol technology to share information, operational systems or computing services within an organization.
2. What are the benefits to businesses (and others) of using information technology for doing work tasks?
Information technology is a powerful tool that can make your business more productive and profitable. It can help streamline business activities, communicate more efficiently with customers and even generate new customers or clients- all while helping to reduce business expenses. This means that we can not only share information quickly and efficiently, but we can also bring down barriers of linguistic and geographic boundaries. We can now communicate with anyone around the globe. IT has also brought about Cost Effectiveness by helping to computerize business processes thus streamlining business to make them extremely cost effective money making machines. Now that business has become very competitive, there is the need to use IT to remain ahead and in business.
Section 2 – Understand how to manage electronic and paper-based information
1. Explain the purpose of agreeing objectives and deadlines when researching information.
If possible, refer to specific examples from research tasks you have worked on to support your answer.
Research is important in business, as it provides information that will inform business decisions. It is important to agree on objective and deadlines so that you can focus on gathering the required information. Research can be done for many different reasons like: solving problems, generating ideas, providing information for management or customers as well as clarifying arrangements or informing decision makers. So if the research is not done properly it can result in wrong information being collected and money and time being wasted. Objectives and deadline must go hand in hand. With the right objective and reasonable deadline only then can you provide a useful relevant piece of information. In the organization I work we collect information by doing customers surveys to research how we are doing and what needs improving. This information are checked every day to keep us up to date with customers needs and any improvement that need doing.
2. Identify the different ways of researching, organising and reporting information.
Research- the most common research methods are: internet searches, literature searches, talking with people, focus groups, personal interviews, telephone surveys, mail surveys, email surveys, and internet surveys (internet searches often are done through search providers like goole.com or bing.com; literature search involves reviewing all readily available materials. These materials can include internal company information, relevant trade publications, newspapers, magazines, annual reports, company...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document