Primary Reserach

Topics: Somalia, Piracy, Piracy in Somalia Pages: 6 (1121 words) Published: April 12, 2015
The primary research is set to be the awareness of the piracy issue amongst the pupil in Hong Kong. According to the survey conducted, the data shows that surprisingly about 43% of the respondent have indicated that they are aware of the danger of the piracy issue in the Indian ocean particularly in Somalia. The other 57% have responded that they are not aware of the danger, figure 2.1.

Furthermore, the respondent were asked to rank the familiarity on the piracy issue in the Somali waters. The table shows that majority of the responded have ranked very little familiarity with the issue. More than half of the respondents ranked little familiarity , out of which a quarter of the total respondent marked a familiarity of 1, only 4 responded have claimed strong familiarity with the issue. The data shows that the general public in Hong Kong does not have a very high understanding of the piracy actions in the Indian ocean.

To facilitate the collection of data with rich and in depth understanding of the issue, we chose some of the respondents from the countries that suffer loses from piracy issues directly. A Total of 12 respondents were from those countries, 7 from India, 2 from Sri Lanka , 2 from Indonesia and 1 from Malaysia. We assumed they would have better knowledge of the piracy issue and it would expedite the data collected.

To ascertain whether our respondents were indeed telling the truth about their knowledge on piracy, we inserted four questions that would test their factual knowledge. We hoped that the respondents would have a moral conduct and not google the answers and from what we gather, we can assume they had not.

We first asked them if they knew about the actual number of pirate attacks that occurred in 2011, We offered multiple choices, this was to aid recall of the facts if necessary. According to the International Maritime Bureau, as of, 2011, 439 pirate attacks took place in the Indian Ocean(Mukundan 2012). As you can see from below only 22% of respondents got the right answer.

Then we asked if the respondents could estimate what was the cost to trade is an estimated $6.6 to $6.9 billion a year in global trade according to research by Oceans Beyond Piracy (OBP)(Bowden and Basnet, 2011). Only 5 made a guess in the 9 zeros figure. And the closest is an answer of $3 Billion. Ironically the respondent behind this answer only put 2 out of 5 in their rank of familiarity with piracy (1 being the lowest)

After the “numerical” questions the other 2 would test basic knowledge of anyone who claims to be familiar with piracy. They just inquired whether the respondents were aware that the pirates were supported by not only notorious criminals and terrorists but more unprecedentedly, civilians as well. (a majority of whom live under the poverty line). Civilians can invest in various hijacking like it is NASDAQ , they will earn handsome dividends for their principal investments, which of course they would re invest in other possible hijackings, this way not only ensuring relatively steadier supply of food for their families but also contributing to the capital funds for pirates. Or if civilians were afraid of the risk they would sign up to be pirates themselves. 18 out of 36 respondents knew about the civilian support but only a meagre 5 out of 36 knew about the collaboration between Al-Shabaab Jihadi Extremist group and the pirates. (See figure 2.4)

Also a huge chunk of Hong Kong adults support the set up of light industries by HKSAR Government as most of them believe it will deter poverty stricken groups of civilians to “invest” in hijack like stocks or joining the increasing numbers of pirates. a few however are cautious as they are aware Somalia does not have a stable government , there is no guarantee that the Somalis would uphold their end of the bargain, then it could prove a huge expense for Hong Kong. (See figure 2.5)

When cargo security became a question due to private...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Primary Source and Public Records Essay
  • Essay on Prepartion of Primary Standard
  • Essay about Primary and Secondary Succession
  • indian primary market Essay
  • Essay on Misconceptions Within Primary Science
  • Essay on Primary and Secondary Sources
  • Essay about Myself: Primary Education
  • Essay about Annotated Primary Source Bibliography

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free