The purpose of this report is to develop and demonstrate your awareness of either beginning of life or end of life practices. Your report should be a combination of academic research, personal observation, knowledge and/or experience.
Report on one of these topics from the perspective of a healthcare worker:
1) How would you, as a practical nurse, best support the members of a family experiencing a pregnancy for the first time? What specialized knowledge and/or skills do you possess? Or
2) How might you, as a practical nurse, best provide comfort to a patient who is in palliative care? What challenges do you think you will face or have you faced? What methods or techniques will you use to comfort the patient and his or her family and friends? How will you, as a healthcare professional, cope with the terminal illness and loss of a patient?
1) Some possible beginning of life topics include: - care of the mother before the birth
- superstitions surrounding pregnancy
- C sections
- epidurals vs. natural child birth
- care of the mother and infant after the birth
- alternate cultural views
2) Some possible end of life topics include: - a family's grieving and a patient's grieving
- death of a young person vs. the death of an elder
- expected vs. unexpected death
- the influence of religion and/or culture on the preparation for death and the grieving process
-methods health care providers can use to cope with the death of a client
The personal pronoun “I” may be used throughout your report. However, the tone of your writing style must remain academic and objective.
3-4 pages double spaced, not including the reference list.
No title page is required. Write your name, course number, date, and the instructor’s name in the top right-hand corner of the first page. The title of the assignment should be