Length 4-5 minutes
PLEASE! Use Proper Safety Restraints in your Vehicle
Adult restraints –
Why are they important
What happens if you don’t use them
NO SEATBELT NO EXCUSE!
• Let me start by saying that YES there are cases where you are better off NOT wearing a seatbelt but those cases are FAR FAR outweighed by the ones where you are better off wearing it.
In the past few weeks there have been more than a few news stories about people being killed in car crashes. It doesn’t matter how safe or careful you are, you can’t always predict what others are going to do and especially here in the south you can’t predict with the animals are going to do. According to the CDC, Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among Americans age 5-34. Adult seat belt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries during a crash, yet millions of Americans don’t wear seat belts.
Motor vehicle crashes are a major public health problem. Young people ages 18-24 have the highest crash related injuries. One in four of you will either be injured or killed in a car wreck this year!
• What is the impact of seat belt use? Studies have shown that using your seat belt has reduced serious crash-related injuries and deaths by about 50%.
• You say – you don’t need to wear your seatbelt, your car has airbags… Air bags provide added protection but are not a substitute for seat belts air bags alone tend to do more harm than good.
• You say you are only going “down the road” – most accidents happen within 2 miles of your home or work place.
• You say – “I’m in the backseat”. It doesn’t matter where in the car you are – people in the back seat can AND DO get hurt just as often as those in the front.
• Everyone else has their seatbelt on - Even if everyone else in the car has on their seatbelt – it only takes one to severely injury or kill others in the car.
• I don’t want to wrinkle my outfit – but it’s ok to have it cut off