April 4th, 2013
MNGT5590 Organizational Behavior (OB)
Midterm Exam, Chapters 1-8
1. What is “Palmer’s principle” and why is it important?
2. How is the adult learning model used in this course?
3. Why are self-assessments used in this course?
4. Why are the Hawthorne studies important to OB? What knowledge about human behavior in the workplace was discovered during the Hawthorne studies?
5. What abilities (skills) will managers need to be successful in the 21st century? Which of these abilities do you have now? How do you plan to acquire the others?
6. How is the “psychological contract” established between workers and employers like the “course contract” we established here the first night of class?
7. How is socialization (the three-stage model) related to culture? Use an organizational example to clarify and explain your answer.
8. Hofestede’s research indicates that national cultures exist. Do you believe that in a heterogeneous nation, such as the United States, a national culture that is shared by all society does exist? Explain.
9. Discuss the relationship between job satisfaction and job performance.
10. Of the Big Five personality dimensions, conscientiousness is the most important factor in predicting job performance across most occupations. How can a person develop a greater amount of conscientiousness in his or her own work? What steps can you as a manager take to encourage employees to be more conscientious?
11. Explain why “emotional intelligence” has potential for managerial use, but should be treated cautiously?
12. The “perceptual gap” between supervisors and employees (see Fig. 4.2) still exists today – why? In answering this question one should consider using the following: Pygmalion & Golem effects, (aka Thorndike’s Law of Effect), self-fulfilling prophecy, and H. Kelly’s attribution theory.
13. Select one of the content theories of motivation,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document