1. Function and Project Organization Structures
* In a function organization structure, employees are organized according to the nature of their employment. For example, all employees who work with human resources are relegated to a department called human resources while all employees who work with the company's accounts are assigned to the accounting department. In a project organization structure, employees with different skills and responsibilities are put together in departments according to the projects that they are working on. Matrix Organization Structure
* Matrix organization structure is a hybrid of function and project organization structures where one employees has two or sometimes even more sets of responsibilities and oversight. Said employee is responsible not only to superiors in the department in which he works but also to the manager who leads the project to which he is assigned. For example, an engineer who is assigned to work on architectural plans answers to both the project leader and to his superiors in the engineering department. * Sponsored Links
* Employee Performance Goals
Employee Performance Goals S/W Download Free Whitepaper!
* Communication can be considered good when it is both effective and efficient in getting the intended meaning across to the intended recipient. Efficient means that the meaning was conveyed in a concise manner without bloat while effective means that the message was conveyed without its intended meaning being distorted in some way in the process. Poor Communication in Matrix Organizations
* A matrix organization comes with a host of disadvantages, many of which have a negative impact on the efficacy and efficiency of communication within the organization. First, there is redundant management in the sense that there are two sets of management whose responsibilities overlap at times, meaning that their communication to higher-ups is hampered by one another. Second is that each set of management is independent of one another; this can produce different analyses, which can lead to a confused assessment for higher-ups. Third is that redundant management is expensive and the two sets of information that they produce and communicate to their superiors is generally not worth that expense. Sponsored Links
* Organizational Charts
Make Organizational Charts Fast
See Examples, Free Download!
* Create Org Charts Online
Plan, Collaborate, Organize
Start a Free Live Demo Now
* Organization Structure Chart
Quickly Find Organizational
Development Theory Solutions
* Accredited Sales Courses
100% Online Sales Skills Courses.
Approved by IACET. Enroll Today!
* Organisational Structure
* Matrix Organization
* Organization Structure
* Matrix Management
* Business Structure
These 5 Things Will Destroy Your RetirementNewsmax
61% of Americans Believe This Crisis is ImminentMoney Morning Before You Sneak That Bottle on BoardReviewed.com
Billionaire Tells Americans to Prepare For "Financial Ruin"Moneynews by Taboola
* FAO Corporate Document Depositary: Matrix Organization
* FAO Corporate Document Depositary: Where the Matrix Approach Is Best * Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
| This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2010)
A matrix organization
Matrix management is a type of organizational management in which people with similar skills are pooled for work assignments. For example, all engineers may be in one...
References: 1. ^ Seet, Daniel. "Power: The Functional Manager’s Meat and Project Manager’s Poison?", PM Hut, February 6, 2009. Retrieved on March 2, 2010.
* Galbraith, J.R. (1971). "Matrix Organization Designs: How to combine functional and project forms". In: Business Horizons, February, 1971, 29-40.
* "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)", Project Management Institute, ISBN 1-880410-23-0
* R J Shepherd (2007)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document