Organ Donation

Topics: Organ transplant, Organ donation, Organ Pages: 6 (1766 words) Published: February 11, 2015
Allee1
Eric Allee
Professor McCrary
Rhetoric and Composition
22 April, 2013
Organ Donation
Many citizens constantly see television shows and media that negatively portray organ donation. One prime example comes from the new hit series, Nip Tuck. Nip Tuck has a storyline built around this image of beauty through plastic surgery while working with an underground kidney market. Many patients in this show wind up being murdered in some cruel intentional way just for a single kidney. Not only does this pull negativity to organ transplants already but someone watching also has to fear the person in need of that organ. Majority of the time Nip Tuck has wealthy, well connected businessmen who need the transplants. Symbolizing any type of authority figure with the power to take a life can begin to inflict a slight amount of oppression through the viewer’s mind. With Organ donation becoming thrown into this light constantly people willing to give donated organs to citizens of need has drastically begun to decrease. More Americans are becoming obsessed with living longer and experiencing more, ignoring the basic side effects of their actions and soon needing some form of organ donated. This growth in exploration has created a large demand for many of these operations, shoes that simply cannot be filled. Organ donation serves three main positive purposes, Scientific Studies, Medical transplants, and Hope.

While many might not know a multi-organ procedure is possible many of the same failures an individual could have in their heart, could be linked to the trouble in their kidneys and surprisingly the procedure is relatively common. With a single organ donation there is always the risk of the individual’s body’s rejection of this new article. Now if we introduce two different organs in one operation, the odds Allee 2

of a body rejecting at least one of the organs grow drastically. This adds multiple different stresses on the body not only because of the two separate procedures but as well as on the inside as the body tries to become familiar with these new tools. Studies show that clinical data on all episodes of treated rejection from a multi-organ transplant out of 56 patients; “48% of these patients have had no rejection in either organ, 27% experienced heart rejection alone, 14% experienced kidney rejection alone, and 11% had both heart and kidney allograft rejection”( pg. 861-867). Of course there are other factors that play into these tests such as age or condition of other organs but the main outlier in this study was actually the severity of any surgery. Many would look at these percentages in the study as a negative outcome. What wasn’t stated earlier about this experiment was that all 48% of the successful transplants were heart and kidney transplants. The other 52% that had trouble with the new organs were simply because of the isolated heart transplant procedure. This procedure allows for scarce to no mistakes throughout the entire process because of the preciseness. The argument is then discredited because of the relationships with many other surgeries because of the high risk factors. Technological advances are constantly erupting in the medical field from surgery techniques to the basic procedures and listed instructions being taught to the successors of the current medical staffs. The process of organ donation is only increasing in effectiveness and soon will become a large industry in the economic jungle, as of now organ donation may still be a recalled toy in some cases but the kinks are all becoming smooth and positively functional.

Constantly refuted is the health and disease control of most transplant procedures which can contain a plethora of viruses. Facts show that a patient receiving a solid organ transplant was 10 times more likely to become infected with cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease 15 years ago. New advancements and studies have designed an antivirus treatment that is over 95% successful at...


Cited: Bredehorn T. et al. (2002), “Questioning the relatives for organ and tissue donation,“
Transplantation proceedings 34(6):2353-4.
Lock M., Schmidt V.-H. (2003), “Twice dead: organ transplant and the reinvention of death,”
Asian journal of social science (31)1:137-41.
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Organ donation Essay
  • Essay about Organ Donation
  • Organ Donation Essay
  • Importance of Organ Donation Essay
  • PERSUASIVE SPEECH ON ORGAN DONATION Essay
  • Organ Donation Essay
  • Organ Donation Essay
  • Could Death Row Inmates Be a Viable Source for Organ Donation? Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free