I. Have you ever wondered how your friends are meeting other singles? Have you ever been set up on a blind date, and your date was everything your friend said he/she would be. Are you single and tired of being set up on blind dates through friends? Have you heard of online dating?
II. Today I am going talk to you about online dating.
III. For a year I have been using online dating services as a primary way of dating. I have tried many sites from friendster, myspace to yahoo personal. I have talk to, met and dated more than 10 men. Some have been successful and some not so successful.
IV. The purpose of my speech is to increase your understanding of online dating. During my speech I will define online dating, and distinguish between some advantages and disadvantages of online dating.
I. First i are going to define online dating, and the different ways of it
A. Online dating would be use www or internet to find a person to develop a
i. Chat room-
1. Share the same interest/hobbies/activities
2. can chat with different people at same time
3. can chat as a group
ii. Online dating Service Websites - online dating service has many functions that would help the user.
1. Search Capabilities - Search through personal profiles to find someone you are interested in.
2. Compatibility Analysis - A service designed to interpret your profile responses (based on proven relationship principles), and that of other members to determine compatible matches. Most services are customizable.
3. Physical Attraction Matching - Allow you to select matches that fit your physical ideal. Searches can be performed on specific physical characteristics i.e. high cheekbones or long, straight hair.
4. Personality Matching - A matching feature used by some sites that provides members with an in-depth view of their personality strengths and weaknesses. Most personality matching systems are based on scientific relationship research.
5. Who's New (Last 7 or 30 days) - Understanding the active status of a member is an important criterion for search relevance. This feature allows you to weed out members who have been inactive for a specified period.
6. Online Chat / Instant Message - Allow you to chat using instant messaging windows on the dating site. You can chat without revealing your personal information.
7. Email History (With message) - Provides you with past email messages to a specific person so that you don't end up repeating yourself.
Transition: Now we have talked about the function and the website we could use for online dating. I am going to tell you how easy it is to use it.
II. How online dating services work?
A. First we have to find a website that has online dating. This would be really easy, because nowadays we have more and more online dating service.
B. Sign up for it, usually use your email to create a screen name.
C. Create Profile
i. Personal information
4. about you
5. upload photo
D. By signing up to the account, you could easily find someone that has the same interest as you.
i. You could send message to them, and started to chat through Instant Messenger or just message through the service.
Transition : You have heard that individuals use the World Wide Web to meet people through Online Dating Services. Now I will distinguish between the advantages and disadvantages for users.
III. What are some advantages and disadvantages of Online Dating?
i. It would be more efficient, we could meet the person really fast by reading through her/his profile.
ii. Anonymous - they can't really track you down, you still have a lot privacy.
iii. Economic - you could chat at home without hanging out spend money on it.
iv. Less chance about being rejected
v. Understand more about that person without talking to him/ her
i. They might provide...
Bibliography: Browne, Dr. Joy. Dating for Dummies. New York, NY: Hungry Minds, Inc., 1997.
Tanaka, Wendy. Web dating services lose their stigma. The Philadelphia Inquirer, 2002.
comScore Media Matrix, Broadcast: Mar 16, 2004 http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/services/onlinedating/facts.html
2004 TopTenREVIEWS, Inc. http://online-dating-review.toptenreviews.com/report-definitions.html
Jonathan Abrams. 2002-2005 Friendster. www.friendster.com
David DeAngelo.2004. http://www.online-dating.org/
Please join StudyMode to read the full document