1. This evaluation schedule is for use during inspections of registered early years provision carried out from September 2012.
It sets out:
the judgements that inspectors will make and report on
the aspects of the registered early years provision that inspectors will evaluate
outline guidance about the evidence that inspectors may gather
grade descriptors to guide inspectors in making their judgements in the inspection of registered early years provision.
2. It should not be used to inspect early years provision in maintained and independent schools that is not registered, or provision registered on the Childcare Register.
3. The outline guidance is not exhaustive but is intended to guide inspectors on the range and type of evidence they might collect.
4. The evaluation schedule must be used in conjunction with the guidance set out in Conducting early years inspections, the Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage 2012 and Development matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
5. Inspectors will judge the overall quality and standards of the early years provision, taking into account three key judgements:
how well the early years provision meets the needs of the range of children who attend
the contribution of the early years provision to children’s well-being
the leadership and management of the early years provision.
6. Inspectors are required to weigh up the evidence in a particular area and to consider it against the descriptors for outstanding, good, satisfactory or inadequate before making a professional judgement.
7. Inspectors must apply professional knowledge and experience when using the criteria. They must take account of the context of the provision inspected, in particular children’s ages, stages of development, the amount of time children spend at the setting each week, and the length of time children that attend for.
8. Children should have access to