Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: ANDREA MARCHANT
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity literally means difference when it is used as a contrast or addition to equality. It is about recognising individual as well as group differences, treating people as individuals, and placing positive value on diversity in the community and in the workforce.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of:
Within the community there are several interest groups that meet on a regular basis – a local history group, a photography group and a youth group.
Within the community we have people from all believes including Christian, Catholic, Muslin and Hindu.
There is a rich mix of various ages within our community from small children to pensioners and everyone in between
There are many types of lifestyle within the community – as we are surrounded by countryside and we are bordered by the Thames to the south, many people enjoy outdoors living, cycling, amateur photography and boating.
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
By having a sense of personal social and cultural identity individuals have a sense of belonging and a way to identify with others. Once you feel you belong you