Vegetarian’s don’t eat, “meat (including fowl) or seafood or products that contain them”. The three types of vegetarians are, lacto-ovo, which are ” based on grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds, nuts, dairy and eggs”. Then there is lacto, “ which excludes eggs as well as meat, fish and fowl”. The last types is vegan, which “ excludes eggs, dairy and other animal products”.
2. Does a vegan consume dairy?
No, because they see themselves as a true vegetarian.
3. List 4 Common reason a person may choose a vegetarian diet?
The four reason are for health considerations, concern for the environment, animal welfare considerations and for religious reasons.
4. Do you think it is considered “easier” for vegetarians to obtain adequate nutrients from foods today than two decades ago? Explain.
I believe if that it is easier today because there are more products available to people who want to follow a vegetarian diet. Because of new product availability such as, “fortified foods and convenience foods”, are now available and accessible in today’s society. there are also dietary supplements that help people get their nutrients for the food that they are not consuming.
5. When following a vegetarian diet, which chronic disease and/or conditions are individuals at a decreased risk of obtaining?
Individuals that follow a vegetarian diets are at a subject to, “ lower blood cholesterol levels. Lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, lower risk of hypertension, lower risk of type II diabetes, lower BMI (Body Mass Index) and can have an overall lower cancer rate”.
6. Plants can provide adequate protein to supports the diet of a vegetarian.
Support: Plants can provide adequate amounts of protein as long as, “a variety of plant foods are consumed and energy needs