Assignment 1 (Section A and B)
Late assignments can be submitted to the Human Ecology General Office (Room 209, Human Ecology Building). Assignments are considered late if they are not submitted in class on the due date.
Policy for Late Assignments: 10% of the total marks will be subtracted for each day that the assignment is late (i.e. 10% for assignments submitted after 10:20 on October 10, 20% for assignments submitted Oct 11, 30% for Oct 12, etc.). If you are unable to complete the assignment due to medical reasons (medical certificate required) or compassionate reasons, please contact the instructor (send an email), preferably before the due date.
Marks for Assignment 1 = 34 marks
Total Marks for Assignment 1 & 2 = 25% of the final grade
*Staple the pages of the assignment together. Please DO NOT put your assignment in a folder or binder as this makes the large number of assignments more difficult to handle.
Section A) Analyzing Dietary/Nutritional Claims
Find an article that makes a dietary or nutritional claim (e.g. “lose weight while you sleep with ‘x’ diet pill”, “gain muscle mass fast and easy with ‘x’ supplement”, “follow this diet plan to detox your body”, “add ‘x’ super vitamin to your diet to prevent illness”). The article can be from a magazine, newspaper, advertising pamphlet or the Internet. The article is to be from the popular press (directed at consumers) not from scientific literature. A copy (or photocopy) of the article must be submitted with your assignment. [1 mark]
Write a critique (in point form) on this article. Include the following information:
a. Identify the topic (this is not always the title of the article) of your article and where it was published (i.e. where you found the article). [2 marks].
b. Describe the dietary or nutritional claim made in your article [2 marks].
c. Discuss whether or