Chance H Smith
Sociology Chapter 1 Outline
Understanding Social Context
* Sociological Perspective; Understanding human behavior by placing it within its broader social context * “The sociological imagination enables us to grasp the connection between history and biography”
-Wright Mills * Social Location; The group memberships that people have because their location in history and society Influences
* External influences; are your experiences – becomes part of your attitude, thinking, and motivation * Internal influences; you inherited/naturally instilled ex. Instincts; knowledge of a greater power,ect. * Globalizing World influences and your own places in life. Origins of Sociology
* Sociology was born in social upheaval. (The industrial Revolution had just begun) * Sociology is the study of society and human behavior.
* Scientific Method. The use of objectives, systematic observations to test theories * By applying the scientific method to questions about social life resulted in the birth of sociology. Auguste Comte (1798-1857)
* Credited as the founder of sociology
* Stressed to apply Scientific Method to the study of society(s) * (Mental Mentality) Hands on Social Reformist but never personally applied his ideals Herbert Spencer (1820-1903)
* Called the second founder of Sociology
* Believed societies go from a lower form to a higher form. Societies change from “barbarian” to “civilized” * Spencer came up with the principle “The Survival of the Fittest” * (Mental Mentality) Let society run its course. Against social reform. Karl Marx (1818-1883)
* He believed that society is made up of 2 social classes: the Bourgeoisie (capitalists, factories, machines) and the Proletariat (exploited workers) * Class Conflict; The conflict between these two natural enemies * Marx did not consider himself as a sociologists but his ideas have influenced...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document