Multiband Bandpass Filter using Multimode Resonator
Bachelor of Engineering
(Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
Project Supervisor: Sie King Ting
Student: Mohammad Faizan Suleman (4215400)
I hereby declare that this report entitled “Multiband Bandpass Filter using Multimode Resonator” is the outcome of my own project work apart from quotations and citations which have been properly acknowledged. I also state that earlier it has not been or concurrently submitted for any other degree at Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus).
Name: Mohammad Faizan Suleman
In the name of Allah; the Most Merciful and the Most Gracious. First and foremost, I would like to thank Allah for His blessings toward the accomplishing this project. Thanks Almighty Allah, May Your name is exalted, honored and glorified. I would like to acknowledge and extend my heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Sie King Ting, my supervisor for his abundant effort, assistance and guidance, insightful suggestions, and his unselfish supports during the completion of this project has been invaluable for me. Not to forget, to my parents, who deserve this special appreciation for their inseparable support, encouragement and prayer enabled me to pursue knowledge and education. My humble acknowledge to my friend Haj Ahmed, my project partner for guiding me and making this project a success and thanks to a friend of mine, Putri ‘Amirah Binti Abdul Rafee for her support, help and inspiring words that spurred me on to work harder to make this project reality. And last but not least, I would also like to thank all my lecturers and my friends in Swinburne University who have been a real support throughout the project. Thank you.
Filters and resonators play a vital role in the communication system. It is an electronic device that allows signal in certain frequency ranged to go through. In simple, it helps to remove all unwanted frequency components in a signal, whereas microstrip resonator is any structure that is able to hold at least one oscillating electromagnetic field which can provide multimode in a single passband. In this project a multiband bandpass filter using multimode resonator is proposed. The main aim of this project is to study and design a compact multiband bandpass filter using multimode resonator. As it is a research based project, the literature review forms a fundamental part of the project which was studied and discussed in detail. In the later section, a compact multiband bandpass filter utilizing the multimode resonator structure such as stub loaded multiple mode resonators based on the paper is designed and simulated. Finally, a new resonator parameter of the filter is simulated and its effect on responses is discussed. The conclusion and future work displays the overall work and the next pathway for the project.
Table of Contents
Table of Figures
Chapter 1: Introduction
Statement of Problem and Motivation
Scopes of the Project
Chapter 2: Literature Review
2.2 Microstrip Filter
2.2.1 Microstrip lines
2.2.2 Microstrip Resonators
2.2.3 Effective Dielectric Constant
2.2.4 Characteristic Impedance
2.2.5 Guided Wavelength, Propagation, Phase Velocity and Electrical length
2.2.6 Compact Dual-Band Bandpass Filter Using Stub-Loaded Multiple-Mode Resonator
2.2.7 Design of a Compact Microstrip Quint Band Filter based on the tri-mode Stub loaded Stepped Impedance Resonators
2.2.8 Compact dual-band bandpass filter with good frequency selectivity
Chapter 3: Methodology
3.1.2 Flowchart of overall design approach
3.2 Research Methodology
Chapter 4: Results, Analysis and Discussion
4.2 Effect of the...
References: * Chu, Q, Chen, F and Wang, Z, 2009, 'A Novel Crossed Resonator and Its Applications to Bandpass Filters ', Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 1753-1759, IEEE Explorer, viewed on 1st November 2012.
* Golio, M (ed.), 2003, Principles and Applications in Engineering Series: ‘Microwave and RF Product Applications’, CRC Press, LLC, pg 21-13.
* Hong, J S, Lancaster, M J, 2001, ‘Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave
Applications’, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pg 100.
* Jahyeon, L & Yeongseog, L, 2012, 'A dual-band bandpass filter using dual and triple-mode resonators ', Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 2012 IEEE, 15-18 Jan. 2012, pp. 143-146,veiwed on 15th October 2012.
* Jefferies, D, 2002, ‘Microstrips’, viewed on 15 October 2012,
* Lee, J & Lim, Y 2011, ‘Compact dual-band bandpass filter with good frequency selectivity ', Electronics Letters, vol. 47, no. 25, pp. 1376-1377, IEEE Explorer, viewed on 16th October 2012.
* Weng, M, Wu, H, Shu, K, Chen, J, Yang, R and Su, Y, 2007, ‘A Novel Triple-band Bandpass Filter Using Multilayer-based Substrates for WIMAX’, Proceedings of 37th European Microwave Conference, pp. 325-328, IEEE Explorer, viewed on .
* ‘Wireless Networking Standards’, 2005, Webopedia, viewed 1st November 2012, <http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/WLANStandards.asp>.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document