Mongol Empire

Topics: Mongolia, Mongol Empire, Genghis Khan Pages: 6 (1957 words) Published: March 31, 2013
Wenda Qian
MGMT 470
Mongolia is landlocked country between China and Russia; it is located in north Asia, and the current population is 2.87 million. Ulan Bator is the capital and the largest city; there are about 45% of the population lives in there. Mongolia's political system is a parliamentary republic, multi-party system including 16 parties; and it is a member of the United Nation. I decide to interview a Mongolian, because as a Chinese, I have never been familiar with this neighbor. My interviewee is called Anka, she is my good friend, a financial major student, we know each other for three years, and I often play basketball with her brother. Anka was sent to a Chinese school when she was 6, she learned Chinese for almost 12 years, so her Chinese is perfect. In Mongolia, Chinese school is very expensive. Her father think learning Chinese is useful to do businesses; in order to enhance the communication and business between Mongolia and China, they can come to China without a visa. The interview took place in the library. Before the interview, I made some research about Mongolia’s history. In 1203 AD, Mongolia was founded by nomadic tribal groupings under the leadership of Genghis Khan; the meaning of name is “universal king”. Mongolian was very good at fighting wars; China was briefly ruled by Mongolia in Yuan dynasty. From 1691 to 1911, Mongolia was controlled by the Manchu, China was also, thus Mongolia was a province of the Qin dynasty at that time. After the Manchu fall in 1911, the Russian Government forced the new Chinese Republican Government to accept Mongolian autonomy under continued Chinese control. At long last the Mongolian People's Republic was proclaimed on November 25, 1924. The relationship between Tibet and Mongolia are old and deep, Tibetan Buddhism became a major religion among Mongolian people, but religion was prohibited in 1930, a lot of monks were arrested. Until 1990, freedom of religion again came back to Mongolia. Democratic Revolution also occurred in early 1990, it ended the 70-years domination of socialism. For the culture, I start with language and religion; there are 21 ethnic groups in Mongolia, but they speak the same language, just a little different pronunciations, but they are all able to understand each other. In China, there is a province called In-Mongolia, but the Mongolian ethnic group of China can’t communicate with Mongolian, the language is mostly different. There are 95% of the populations in Mongolia follow Buddhism, most of them are old people, the other 5% follow Christianity which is a new religion appear in Mongolia for recent 5-6 years, and young people are the majority. For marriage customs, currently Mongolian people follow the western style with wedding dress; the traditional marriage custom is Mongolia cheongsam in green and yellow. In Mongolia, the legal marriage age is 18 for both male and female, most choose to marry at 19 years old. Young people have marriage freedom now, they can choose their lover, it is not decided by father as before, and male’s parents are required to go to female’s home to propose marriage, female doesn’t change the family name after marriage. During the wedding, both man and woman have to hold a blue silk with sliver cup fill with wine on the right hand, every friend and relative sip the wine from the sliver cup. Many Mongolian families have 2-3 kids, and the women go to work, very few stay at home to be a housewife. The exactly same as China, Mongolia also has a spring festival; it is the one of two big traditional holidays in Mongolia, people wear white cheongsam in spring festival, and the color means “lucky”. The last day before the spring festival, people have to eat foods from the morning to the night, they can’t be hungry at that day, and the foods include dumpling, horse meat and milk tea. From the Lunar New Year's day to the third day, Mongolian put a very big meat on the table, family...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Inner Mongolia and Various Nomadic Empires
  • Success of the Mongolian Empire Essay
  • Essay on Mongols
  • Mongol Empire and Silk Road Essay
  • Essay about Mongols
  • Mongol Empire Essay
  • Mongol Rule Essay
  • Mongol Crash Course Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free