1. List the four characteristics of herding/nomadic groups brought up in the Crash Course Video.
They aren’t Jack Kerouac, they don’t produce manufactured goods, they live close to nature and harsh conditions, and they are more egalitarian. Complete the following chart:
They move around
according to the weather.
They move in order to feed
They would trade with the
near by settlers.
They traded in order to get
what they need to survive.
They had tough living
They lived on the land and
had to live through storms
and natural disasters.
Gender and social status
Women and men were seen
They needed women to
share the workload in order
2. Why were the Mongols more successful at emerging from Central Asia where larger groups were not?
They were successful because of their speed and because Genghis Khan unified the Mongols.
3. Genghis Khan successfully united warring groups due to these two factors: a. He put people in certain classes based on their education and merit, instead of family class.
b. He brought the lower classes of people from other tribes in order to dispossess the leader of the klans.
4. What was the significance of the Kurultai?
The people could choose their leader.
5. Genghis Khan was declared the Great Khan in 1206 and by the time of his death in 1227 had formed an empire which stretched from Mongolia to the Caspian Sea. Briefly describe what happened to the Mongol Empire after Genghis’ death? After Genghis’s death his son took over and continued to expand the empire along with his grandsons until his 3rd grandson to take charge lost a battle and the Mongols began to conform to society.
6. The high water point of Mongol Conquests was at the Battle of Ain Jalut. Where was it and ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document