Module 4-Legislative Branch
Answer the following questions based on the notes for this module. Be sure to include complete and accurate answers! Part I: Vocabulary
Use the following words correctly in a sentence:
-President Pro Tempore ~ The president pro tempore is the senate elected leader of the senate. -Speaker of the House ~The Speaker of the House is chosen by the majority party to be the presiding officer of the House of Representatives. -Select Committee ~ Select Committees are organised to meet about issues that cannot be fulfilled by other committees and disband after the duty has been fulfilled. -Conference Committee ~ Conference committees help the house and senate agree on issues regarding bills. They are most associated with the bill to law process. -Standing Committee ~ Standing committees are the permanent committees in congress. Part II: Short answer:
1. What are the qualifications one must meet to be a member of the House of Representatives? The Senate?
- Senate qualifications include, one must by 30 years old or older, have been a U.S.
citizen for nine years, and they must live in the state they are representing.
- House qualifications are include, one must be 25 years old or older, have been a U.S.
citizen for seven years, and they must live in the district they are representing. 2. How long is one term for a representative and a senator? How are they elected?
- One term for a house representative is two years and they are elected by the citizens
of their congressional district.
- One term for a senator is six years and they are elected directly by the people 3. Name and EXPLAIN two powers of the House of Representatives and two powers of the Senate.
- The House elects the President if there is no majority, if the electoral vote is unclear
the House is used as the deciding factor in Presidential elections. They also Starts the
impeachment process of the President if an issue arises the House is the first step in...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document