1. The captain wants revenge because he lost his leg to the "great white whale, moby dick."
2. Ishmael is the narrator. "Call me Ishmael" is the first line of the novel.
3. The name Ahab describes a king that turns unpleasant. I Kings 16:30,” Ahab son of Omri did more evil in the eyes of the lord than any of those before him.” Arab, in the story Moby Dick, will be the same kind of ruler. The biblical name Ishmael Genesis 16:1–16; 21:1 is disinherited from his home in favor of his half-brother Isaac. The name suggests that the narrator is something of an outcast, a fellow of no particular family other than mankind. Ishmael confirms his independent ways by telling us that he seeks no special rank aboard ship and would not want to be either a cook or a captain; he says he has enough responsibility just taking care of himself.
4. Ishmael his nature and all his knowing he is beautiful and truthful, Captain Ahab is like King Ahab in the Bible and the whale is a symbol of God or the Devil. Captain Ahab represents all of the evil throughout the world, Starbuck "is just an animal to be killed for oil.
5. Whale oil was so popular that the whaling industry became a big hit, and this is why it was so significant and why Melville decided to use it.
6. Melville set sail towards the South Pacific.
7. Nathaniel Hawthorne and Melville became friends.
8. The four harpooners represented different cultures and were of different race. This then started the Pequod, of which a ship holds them and is almost as if it is a "Little Democracy".
9. They were out at sea, and saw that deep in the ocean a whale was giving birth, but that all of it was ruined because of other whalers that set in.
10. The last years of Melville were a failure because his book Moby Dick was, but seventy years or so later, the book was a huge