HLT 3306: Midterm Study Guide Chapters 1-6
Complete and study thoroughly. I do not give the answers for these questions so it is your responsibility to read the textbook and do the work so that you do well. You will not have enough time to search for all of the answers so I suggest you complete the guide and master its material.
Note: It’s a whole lot easier to complete this guide if you read one chapter at a time and then complete a portion of the questions. You’ll remember the material better this way! Don’t be lazy! The textbook can be pretty interesting. If health is something that interests you, then you shouldn’t even moan and groan about having to read the stuff.
1. Through what associations does the environment play a role in human health?
2. What is the estimated percentage for global burden linked to environmental sources?
3. Why do children in comparison with adults represent a group that is especially vulnerable to environmental hazards?
Their immune systems and detoxifying organs are still developing and are not fully capable of responding to environmental toxins.
4. What are some reasons for the potential spread of avian influenza?
5. What was the 2009 swine flu outbreak caused by and how was it spread?
6. Environmental risk transition is most likely to be characterized by what?
Changes in environmental risks that happen as a consequence of economic development in the less developed regions of the world.
7. What is a total fertility rate?
A hypothetical estimate of completed fertility.
Indicates how many births a womean would have by the end of her reproductive life.
8. What is a demographic transition? Describe the 3 phases of a demographic transition
The alteration over time in a populations fertility, mortality, and makeup
Stage 1- most of the population is young and fertility and mortalitly rates are high/ overall population remains small.
Stage 2- drop in mortality