Chapter 8 1. What specifically did the following regions or peoples diffuse through trade?
Eurasia and North Africa:
2. The Silk Roads were land-based trade routes linking pastoral and agricultural peoples as well as large civilizations. How were goods transported along the Silk Roads to sustain the networks of exchange among its diverse people? 3. What region became the center of the Indian Ocean commercial network?
4. In what ways did China contribute to the growth of trade in the Indian Ocean between 500 and 1500 C.E.?
5. What other changes occurred during the flourishing of Indian Ocean commerce after the rise of Islam in the 7th century?
Mesopotamia/East Africa :
6. What was the importance of Srivijaya?
7. What were the economic and cultural roles of the Swahili civilization in the world of Indian Ocean trade?
8. Trans-African trade was rooted in environmental variation. For instance,
The great Sahara held…
The savanna grasslands immediately south of the Sahara produced…
And the forest areas farther south had…
9. What changes did trans-Saharan trade bring to West Africa?
Long-distance trade across the Sahara provided…
Muslims traded (what?) along the Sahara…
Sudanic states developed…
10. Describe some factors that inhibited the development of long-distance exchange networks in the Americas.
1. Discuss the ways in which the Tang and Song Dynasties were regarded as the “Golden Age of Chinese Achievement.”
2. In what ways did women’s lives change during the Tang (618-907) and Song (960-1279) dynasties?
3. Who were the Xiongnu, the Uighurs, the Khitan, and the Jurchen in relation to the Chinese ?
Khitan and Jurchen:
4. In what political, economic, and social ways did