Multiple Choice: Choose only one answer and mark the corresponding letter on your scantron. Each question is worth 2 points.
1. One characteristic of human communication is that it is symbolic. In this symbolic communication meanings are located in:
a. Stand for something other than themselves.*
b. Represent ideas, but not people, things or events.
c. Mean exactly the same thing to various people.
d. Have nothing to do with verbal communication.
3. Which of the following is an example of intrapersonal communication?
a. a dyad sharing high levels of self-disclosure
b. any communication which is not face-to-face
c. your conscience*
d. watching a videotaped speech
4. Mass communication messages are:
a. more personal than other types of communication
b. more of a product than other types of communication*
c. where college students spend almost one half of their total communication time
d. all of the above
5. When we are searching for words to express an idea, we are involved in the process of:
a. assigning meaning
6. John is trying to listen to a speech but his headache interferes. He’s experiencing:
a. external noise
b. physiological noise*
c. psychological noise
d. a distraction not classified as noise
7. According to your text, in most cases successful communication occurs when:
a. the speaker is satisfied
b. the listener is satisfied
c. everyone is satisfied*
d. one person has more sophisticated communication skills
8. A person’s self-concept is a set of:
a. constantly changing perception of others
b. stable perceptions of others
c. uniquely changing perceptions of ourselves
d. relatively stable perceptions of ourselves*
9. The image we develop of ourselves based on the way we think others view us is called:
a. the self-conscious self
b. the multidimensional self
c. perception checking
d. reflected appraisal*