Mexico: Country Report

Topics: Mexico, Mexico City, Geert Hofstede Pages: 9 (3527 words) Published: March 25, 2007
Mexico has unequivocally become integral to the United State's (US) economy. It ranks as one of the US's most important trading partners. Through foreign direct investment from the north, the development of a skilled workforce, and a free market economy, Mexico has developed into an economic power. Despite a shaky history riddled with debt, the country as a whole has recovered. To compare elements of cultures across nations, we try to formulate similarities in beliefs, practices, and situations. Mexico, while distinctly different from the US, holds many cultural similarities that translate well into other countries.

Mexico sits south of the US on 1,972,550 sq km of total area. As of 2006, 107.5 million people inhabited the 1,923,039 sq km of land area in the country. (CIA Factbook, 2006) Due to the high birthrate in the country, the population has grown an average of 2% annually since 1975. This continues despite the large amount of Mexican expatriates that migrate illegally to the US. It had been estimated in the nineties that over 4 million Mexicans resided abroad, the large majority of them living just north of the border. Add on the latest estimate that there were 94 million US-Mexico border crossings last year, and it's quite clear that it has been difficult to set a hard number on that particular population. (Watts, 2005)

The population is distributed fairly evenly among both sexes, with females holding a slight majority at around 51%. The majority of the population is concentrated between the ages of 16 and 64, holding 64% of the total. The 0-14 age demographic is surprisingly strong with 30% of the total population, leaving 6% for the 65+ population. The vast majority of the inhabitants of the country reside in urban areas, dispersed at 75% of the total population, which can be quantified even further when evaluating the following statistics. While the country is divided up into 31 individual states and a Federal District, 22% of the country's population resides in the State of Mexico and the bordering Federal District. With an overall population density of only 56 persons per square km, that rate jumps to 5,500 persons per square km in Mexico City, the third most populous city in the world. (CIA Factbook, 2006)

Mexico's free market economy has grown in leaps and bounds over the last few decades. As of 2005, Mexico's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) (PPP) was $1.068 trillion $US. This combined with a GDP per capita (PPP) of $10,100, close to one quarter that of the US, helps to bolster Mexico as the third largest economy in NAFTA. (CIA Factbook, 2006) The economy is fed primarily by the service, industry, and agriculture sectors which are controlled largely by the private sector. When evaluated at the micro level, we find that income distribution among Mexicans is fairly uneven. With a GINI Index of 54.6, Mexico ranks towards the failing end of the index. (Human Development Report, 2003) The top 10% of population accounted for nearly 40% of the overall income, with the middle sector close to 40% as well. This leaves 60% of the population living on only 20% of the total income. Of this lower-class, individuals employed in the industry sector have it the best, with assured wages and membership in Mexico's public health care system. However, there is still close to 10% of the population that is living below $1 a day, and over one quarter of the population living below $2 a day. (Human Development Report, 2005) Those living in rural or less developed areas often place among the 3.6% of the population that is unemployed, or the 25% that is considered underemployed. (Merrill & Miro, 1997)

As one changes focus from the less developed rural areas to the more developed infrastructures of the larger cities, the commerce and industry sector begins to take root. In the early 1950's the manufacturing sector overtook agriculture as the largest contributor to the nation's GDP. In recent years, much of this industry...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Country Report / Mba / Mexico Essay
  • Country Report Mexico Final Essay
  • Country Risk Report Mexico Essay
  • Report Essay
  • Mexico Country Analysis Essay
  • Country Case Report: Iceland Essay
  • Country Economic Analysis Report Essay
  • south korea country report Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free