The 7 Steps for correct ICD coding
Identify all terms in the diagnosis
Locate each main term in the Alphabetic Index.
Refer to any subterms indented under the main term.
Follow cross-reference instructions if the needed code is not located under the first main entry consulted.
Verify the code in the Tabular List.
Read and be guided by any instructional terms in the Tabular List.
Assign codes to the highest level of specificity.
1. In Volume 2 (the Alphabetical Index), the main term “Diaper rash” directs you to refer to this code in the Tabular List (Volume 1): ____691.0_______________
2. To assign a code for a poisoning or adverse effect, you would refer to this table: _Injury and poisoning____________________
3. A diagnosis for a condition or disease of the Respiratory System would fall within this code range: __(460-519)______________
4. These types of codes are used to identify “Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Service”: Supplemental (V01-V91)
5. These types of codes are used to identify “External Causes of Injury and Poisoning”: _____ E-codes (E800-E999)______________
6. What does ICD-9-CM stand for? _International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification_
7. Is code 282.42 a category, subcategory, or subclassification? ___category___________
8. Is code 986 a category, subcategory, or subclassification? _____category______________
9. Is code 422.0 a category, subcategory, or subclassification? ____subclassification_______________
10. Is code 806.60 a category, subcategory, or subclassification? ___subcategory_______
11. Provide the correct description for code 070.43 from the tabular list. ___Hepatitis E with hepatic coma________________
12. Provide the correct description for code 274.11 from the tabular list. __Uric acid nephrolithiasis_________________
13. Provide the correct description for code 348.1 from the tabular list. ____Anoxic Brain Damage_______________
14. Provide the